Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> on 2019/06/24 15:05:52 UTC

Outreachy won't (directly) solve all our diversity problems

Hey all,

You already know this, but I ran some example numbers, and I figured you'd
appreciate them.

We're too big to use Outreachy to significantly impact our diversity
numbers.  Just to take one dimension of one segment of our committer
pipeline, and some simplified numbers as an example: if we have 8000
committers across all of our projects, and 5% are women, we'd need to add
444 women committers to raise the percentage of women committers to 10%.
(8000*(.1 -.05)/(1 - .1))

If all of the Outreachy interns were women, and 90% of the Outreachy
interns were to become project committers, we'd need to employ 494
Outreachy interns.

Outreachy interns cost the org 6.5 thousand dollars, work for 6 weeks, and
require roughly 5 hours of mentoring per week.  *So raising participation
of women to 10% would cost more than 3.2 million dollars, and nearly 15
thousand mentor hours, if done solely via Outreachy.*

Of course several of my assumptions are downright silly.  So, it would
likely cost much more.  But even that amount is currently well beyond our
reach.  And the participation of minorities in our projects is probably
worse than the participation of women, so continuing this calculation along
those dimensions is just going to get depressing.

Direct impact on our diversity statistics can't be our goal in
participating in Outreachy.

Instead, one of the hopes that have been expressed with respect to hosting
an Outreachy intern is that we'll be able to follow their progress and
learn from the problems they encounter (following the "Switch" model (1)),
so that we can figure out what's keeping people out of our communities and
tackle those underlying problems.

Naomi's recent e-mail on this is super exciting.  I am really looking
forward to watching the work she's describing.

Best Regards,
Myrle

1.)
https://www.amazon.com/Switch-change-things-when-hard-ebook/dp/B005TKD512/

Re: Outreachy won't (directly) solve all our diversity problems

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 6/24/19 10:19 PM, Sage Sharp wrote:
> I would suggest taking a look at the OpenStack diversity reports:
>
> https://superuser.openstack.org/articles/2018-gender-diversity-report/
>
> "Newcomers who enter the community through a mentorship program boast a
> higher retention rate than other newcomers, at 13 percent versus less than
> 10 percent, respectively. In addition, these mentees contribute to the
> community for an average of 15 months, far longer than their three-month
> program duration. This report provides a springboard for additional
> research into mentorship programs, with the aim to identify and share best
> practices."
>
> One of the concerns raised was whether the ASF is "too big" for diversity
> efforts to have an impact. It was mentioned that there are 8,000 ASF
> contributors. OpenStack has 89,000 contributors. If they can improve their
> diversity numbers, I'm sure ASF member projects can as well. :)

How is a contributor defined in this argument?

We have around 7,500 *committers*, of which roughly 3,700 can be said to
be active (have committed code in the past year). We also have around
74,800 *contributors* (depending on how you define a contributor, it's a
grey area to say the least - my number is defined as "having interacted
with the development process in some way that leaves behind a trace"),
of which 11,500 are actively contributing code/docs material, expected
to increase to 15,000 active within two years time.

Needless to say, we need to also ask ourselves "what are we trying to
improve the diversity of?" within this discussion, re the very different
numbers above.

I haven't caught up on all the threads here, but I believe at least
Myrle's point was that items like Outreachy cannot stand alone if we are
to achieve even a slight dent in our demographics. I do however believe
that valuable insight could be learned, and then applied in a greater
scope afterwards.

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: Outreachy won't (directly) solve all our diversity problems

Posted by Sage Sharp <sh...@otter.technology>.
[...]

It will take several different programs and years of cultural change.
Having mentorship programs like Outreachy will be vital towards
understanding what changes need to be made. But to do nothing is to accept
the status quo.

(I'll also note that the Outreachy internships are 13 or 14 weeks long, not
6 weeks long.)

Sage Sharp
Outreachy Organizer

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I would also hope for some virality such that each intern brings some
number of others.