Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Mark Gordon <ma...@ordertech.com> on 2017/06/06 22:10:51 UTC

James 3.0 RC1

Does the James 3.0 need to be ran via docker?  I got it running via the
docker sample install.   I was able to add users and domains but could not
get it to send email.

I downloaded the binary 3.0 RC1 and tried to run and it complained about
missing configuration files, more specifically related to spring.  I found
some people discussing this problem with the beta 5 release.

With docker, how do you access any configuration files?  I guess I need to
learn a bit about docker.

-Mark

--
Mark Gordon <ma...@ordertech.com>

OrderTech Corporation | 819 W Fairmont Dr Ste 2 | Tempe, AZ 85282

*o:* (480) 285-1403 <4802851403> | *f:* (602) 308-1300 <6023081300> | *m:*
(602) 549-0488 <6025490488>

www.ordertech.com

LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/company/ordertech-corp> | Twitter
<https://twitter.com/OrderTech> | Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OrderTech>

Re: James 3.0 RC1, migration utility?

Posted by Benoit Tellier <bt...@linagora.com>.
Hi,

As stated in http://james.apache.org/server/upgrade-2.3.html

> We are also not supporting this migration process.
> You can try it, but be sure to check that everything is correct.
>
> The migration will be provided and fully supported in 3.1 release.
>
> If you can't wait for the next release, we advise you to use external
mail migration tools such as imapsync or popsync

Does it answers your question?

Cheers,

Benoit

Re: James 3.0 RC1

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On 6/7/17, Matthieu Baechler <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> Just to be clear about that : the team didn't switched to docker. It is
> just a delivery artifact that comes as a bonus. Whoever is good at
> docker can quick start with James easily.
> Others can very well build docker from source and make it work like before.
>
> In both cases, James needs some configuration files to work.
> Sample configuration are in dockerfiles directory (that is ambiguous and
> we will move them out),

Thanks for your reply and clarifications, Matthieu! Appreciated.

FC

Re: James 3.0 RC1

Posted by Matthieu Baechler <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Fernando,

On 06/07/2017 09:18 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On 6/7/17, Benoit Tellier <bt...@linagora.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> To modify the configuration, you can mount it on a volume.
>>
>> Here is the mount option: " -v $PWD/path/to/your/config:/root/conf"
> what is $PWD in this context?
$PWD doesn't matter, he should have omit that : the first path (before
":") is local path, the second part is the path inside the container.
> is /root/conf a real folder or a virtual folder??
>
> Sorry I'm new to all this. Next time, please make your examples a
> little more verbose.
>
> Honestly, you can't switch to docker overnight without at least giving
> users or future users a little crash course on how things work when
> dockerized.....
Just to be clear about that : the team didn't switched to docker. It is
just a delivery artifact that comes as a bonus. Whoever is good at
docker can quick start with James easily.
Others can very well build docker from source and make it work like before.

In both cases, James needs some configuration files to work.
Sample configuration are in dockerfiles directory (that is ambiguous and
we will move them out), for example :
dockerfiles/run/guice/cassandra/destination/conf contains configuration
files to make a james over cassandra and ElasticSearch running.

Matthieu Baechler

Re: James 3.0 RC1

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On 6/7/17, Benoit Tellier <bt...@linagora.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> To modify the configuration, you can mount it on a volume.
>
> Here is the mount option: " -v $PWD/path/to/your/config:/root/conf"

what is $PWD in this context?
is /root/conf a real folder or a virtual folder??

Sorry I'm new to all this. Next time, please make your examples a
little more verbose.

Honestly, you can't switch to docker overnight without at least giving
users or future users a little crash course on how things work when
dockerized.....

just my $0.02...
FC
PS: dont get me wrong, I think Docker is a nice idea, in concept...

Re: James 3.0 RC1

Posted by Benoit Tellier <bt...@linagora.com>.
Hi,

To modify the configuration, you can mount it on a volume.

Here is the mount option: " -v $PWD/path/to/your/config:/root/conf"

You can select the configuration files in the folder corresponding to
your docker image in
https://github.com/apache/james-project/tree/master/dockerfiles/run

Cheers,

Benoit