Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Klein, Scott @ TW" <sc...@L-3com.com> on 2002/06/19 17:31:58 UTC

RMIAppender interest

I did a search through the archives and there was a single mention of
someone creating an RMIAppender. The question then was, 'why use RMI over
the SocketAppender?', which for most people is valid.

However, due to some weird internal stuff I needed to implement an RMI
appender - which I did.

Reading the brief posts on this matter previously there doesn't seem to be
much interest, but if there is I would be happy to give it out.

============
Little API overview. It is a little more flexible than an appender needs to
be, but...
boolean requiresLayout()
this appender does not require a layout
void setBindName(java.lang.String bindName)
The BindName option takes a String representing the name that the remote
object is bound to.
void setHostName(java.lang.String hostName)
The HostName option takes a String representing the name of the host where
the registry is running.
void setMethodName(java.lang.String methodName)
The MethodName option takes a String representing the name of the method
that must be called on the remote object.
void setMethodParam(java.lang.String methodParam)
The MethodParam option takes a String representing the fully qualified class
name of the parameter being passed to the MethodName method in the remote
object.
void setPort(int port)
The Port option takes a String representing the port number the registry is
running on at HostName.

Re: RMIAppender interest

Posted by RehdatVsWin <re...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

I am very interested in RMI appender. We have alarming and notification system
which has RMI interface for receiving alarms. I wanted to send error level logs
to this interface. Canb you provide me some help or info onhow should I proceed.

Thanks.

Billie