Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Hilco Wijbenga <hi...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/28 01:46:57 UTC

How to Prevent Redeployment of an Artifact?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of setting up a Maven environment. Things are
working nicely but I noticed that I could repeatedly deploy the same
artifact (i.e. with the same version). For snapshots that's no problem
but for releases that's not what one wants.

I couldn't find anything in the POM description that would prevent
this. Google also didn't provide any answers. So how does one prevent
redeploying artifacts? The only thing that I could come up with was
running a cron job that would set everything (excluding
maven-metadata.xml*) to read-only.

Is there a best practice for this?

Cheers,
Hilco

Re: How to Prevent Redeployment of an Artifact?

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.
you should group your project into logical modules and release the
groups as often as you like, however i dont think it is wise to let
everyone do the release at will, there should be a release manager to
do that job.  Take a look at maven continuum 1.1 which can automate
the release job for you in a control manner.

also take a look at maven itself which has multiple project groups (
ie , plexus core, plexus-utils, plexus archiver, doxia, scm, maven
etc)

hope it helps.

-D

Posted by Hilco Wijbenga <hi...@gmail.com>.