Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl> on 2010/12/12 12:35:38 UTC

river-commit subscriptions

Is every committer subscribed to river-commit? Should they be?

Gr. Sim

Re: river-commit subscriptions

Posted by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.
> On 12/12/2010 3:35 AM, Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
>> Is every committer subscribed to river-commit? Should they be?

> I am subscribed, but have been considering dropping it. On the one hand,
> often the dominant activity in my mailbox is commit actions that don't
> affect me. On the other hand, it does provide a way of knowing what is
> going on.

Exactly, sort of 'keeping the pulse', where is something going on. I
have to admit, i don't read them all. ;-)

Re: river-commit subscriptions

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
On 12/12/2010 3:35 AM, Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
> Is every committer subscribed to river-commit? Should they be?
>
> Gr. Sim

I am subscribed, but have been considering dropping it. On the one hand,
often the dominant activity in my mailbox is commit actions that don't
affect me. On the other hand, it does provide a way of knowing what is
going on.

Patricia

Re: river-commit subscriptions

Posted by Wade Chandler <hw...@yahoo.com>.
Posted by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.
On 12/12/2010 03:06 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Sim IJskes - QCG<si...@qcg.nl>  wrote:
>> Is every committer subscribed to river-commit? Should they be?
>
> Was it in Eric Raymond's "The Cathedral&  The Bazaar" that coined the
> now famous "Given enough eye balls, all bugs are shallow.", promoted
> into Linus' Law or something??
>
> *Should* is probably a key word here. Everyone looking at every commit
> is probably too much to ask, but if people could carve out areas where

Advised then.

Shall we put this in a webpage?

===

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl> wrote:
> Is every committer subscribed to river-commit? Should they be?

Was it in Eric Raymond's "The Cathedral & The Bazaar" that coined the
now famous "Given enough eye balls, all bugs are shallow.", promoted
into Linus' Law or something??

*Should* is probably a key word here. Everyone looking at every commit
is probably too much to ask, but if people could carve out areas where
the have an added 'expertise' and keep viewing what is happening in
that space, by mail client filtering for instance, that can reduce the
review effort to a decent level for each individual. Normally these
boundaries tend to form automagically, without coordination and
probably best to do without formalities...

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I live here; http://tinyurl.com/3xugrbk