Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/24 12:53:39 UTC

Next release name? (was: Re: [DISCUSS] Next version - What should be in it)

What are we going to be calling this next SCA release?

We've had M1 and M2 releases, some alpha kernel releases, DAS are talking
about an M3 release and SDO is doing an M3 release although there was some
discussion about renaming that to beta1. I think milestone and alpha release
names may discourage people from trying a release as it makes it sound
unstable. The spec defined SCA APIs are stable now and we're talking about
making stable SPIs for this next release, so the Tuscany externals are
becoming stable and that sounds better than alpha quality to me.

So how about the next Tuscany SCA release is named beta1? and we could try
to get DAS and SDO to also follow that naming?

Any comments or alternative name suggestions?

   ...ant

Re: Next release name? (was: Re: [DISCUSS] Next version - What should be in it)

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Both of these seem like useful suggestions. There's a scheduled IRC next
Monday so lets discuss the release contents at that, in the meantime people
could add their names to wiki items [1] for things that they want to get
into the next release.

   ...ant

[1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/Java+SCA+Next+Release+Contents

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 4/25/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:

> ant elder wrote:
> > On 4/24/07, Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> > <snip/>
> >
> > So I think it comes down to whether it is more important to put
> >> something out by JavaOne (in which case I'd be hesitant to call it
> >> "beta") or whether it is more important to attain a true "beta" level
> >> of quality even if that takes a little bit longer.
> >

> > I guess a lot comes down to everyones slightly different perceptions
> > as to
> > what the name "beta" implies, what do others think about this? Should
> we:
> >
> > 1) continue aiming for a beta1 release around JavaOne timeframe
> > 2) continue with a beta1 release but take a bit more time
> > 3) aim for a release around JavaOne timeframe but change to a non-"beta"
> > release name, alpha-x or maybe a numeric like 0.90?
> >
> > I probably favor (2) as looking at things people have said they'd like
> > get done it seems unlikely to me we'll be ready by JavaOne anyway.
> >
> >   ...ant
> >

> I think it would be good to "Release early, release often" :) and have a
> release around JavaOne for people to try our SCA 1.0 APIs and assembly
> support as well as our new SPIs, and after that have more frequent
> releases than we did in in the past, like a release every two months
> maybe, with smaller increments each time.
>
> I'm for a variation of your option (3)... refine the contents of the
> release first, then decide to call it alpha/beta/gamma/whatever based on
> what we've been able to put in that release.

Ok, is there anything on the list in the wiki [1] that we think either (a)
must be in the next release or (b) need not be in the next release?

The main things I think are in the (a) "must have" category is "define a
clear set of runtime and extension APIs", and unless we're happy with just a
source distribution also "decide on distributions, create build scripts". If
all we want to do is get a release out quickly then maybe everything else
could be slipped to the release after next.

One problem is i don't think we can define a clear and stable extension API
without having a few extensions working using it so we probably also need to
get a few implementation and binding types working using the extension API
(eg java, script, axis2 and rmi?). I guess we don't actually have to release
those extensions in the next release though.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Next release name? (was: Re: [DISCUSS] Next version - What should be in it)

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 5/2/07, Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com> wrote:

> I thought Ant's suggestion was just 0.90 and not beta anything.  I can
> live with this.  I don't think we are ready yet to call it beta 1.0
> or beta1 1.0.
>
>    Simon
>
> haleh mahbod wrote:
>
> > why does it matter if we call it beta1 or beta .90? It is a variation of
> > what we call beta. The fact that there is a number after Beta is an
> > indication that there might be revisions of Beta anyway before 1.0release
> > is reached.
> >

> > On 5/2/07, Ignacio Silva-Lepe <is...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> +1 on 0.90

> >> the
> >> beta1
> still

> in
> >> can,
> manageable

> >> call it

> >> perceptions
> >> Should

> >> like
> anyway.

> +1 to using 0.90 (over reverting to M3 say). After this is done we should
take the time discuss here what everyone thinks the gap is between what we
have and what a beta would contain.

Simon

Re: Next release name? (was: Re: [DISCUSS] Next version - What should be in it)

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ignacio Silva-Lepe <is...@gmail.com>.
+1 on 0.90

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I've started to use 0.90 for the name for now. Can easily change it if
something better comes up.

   ...ant

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
+1 for 0.90

- Venkat

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bert Lamb <al...@pobox.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
I agree that beta1 sounds good and will encourage people to try
Tuscany because it seems like a stable release (more so than our
previous releases and attempted releases).  And in terms of SCA
spec APIs, I think we are pretty much at beta level currently.
I would also regard the SDO implementation and APIs as being at
beta level.

However... I have some concerns about whether we can truly describe
our current SCA implementation as being at beta level.  If we are
going to put "beta" on the outside of the box, then we had better make
sure that "beta" code is inside the box as well.  In the last few
weeks we have been through very significant changes in the codebase.
The progress has been remarkable, and the changes have been very
positive, but there are still a few loose bits hanging out. One
example of this is the lifecycle issues that I raised a few days ago.
Another is the problems that people are currently having with
Tomcat and Web Services.  So I don't think what we have today is
quite at the level of stability, completeness and quality that truly
justifies a "beta" designation, and realistically I am not sure that
we will be able to get the code to that point in the next week and
be able to put out a "beta quality" release by JavaOne.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 4/24/07, kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> people
> in the last week about release naming, particularly with regard to the
> effect that a milestone or alpha name can have on uptake of a release.  In
> the IRC chat of 16th April [1] we reached a conclusion that given the fact
> that a new release candidate had just been posted for consideration, we
> would leave naming as it was.  However, I got the impression that in
> general
> the community was giving me an implicit +0 vote to retaining the M3
> release
> tag, but the ideal would be to move to a beta1 tag. At the time there was
> handful of small SDO 2.1 spec features for which we didn't have a first
> cut
> implementation.  Now this has reduced to just a couple,  and it seemed
> that
> there was consensus from the discussion that a beta* tag was not
> incompatible with this state,  so long as the omissions were documented.
>
> The SDO RC3 has been available for a little while for comment,  but has
> not
> received much attention.  I have a couple of small non-blocking issues
> with
> the candidate that I have spotted that I would like to tidy up.  So I
> propose that I quickly cut a new 1.0-incubating-beta1 tag from the M3 tag,
> make my small fixes (including adopting the incubating name convention
> over
> the previous incubator convention) post a new candidate and start a vote
> on
> that candidate. I'd like to do this ASAP and I don't think this is
> contentious, but I guess I need to give a little time for reaction before
> proceeding, as my actions would not be in accordance with the outcome
> community discussions; I propose to do this at start of UK business
> tomorrow.
>
> Kelvin
>
> [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg16772.html
>
> On 24/04/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > What are we going to be calling this next SCA release?
> >
> > We've had M1 and M2 releases, some alpha kernel releases, DAS are
> talking
> > about an M3 release and SDO is doing an M3 release although there was
> some
> > discussion about renaming that to beta1. I think milestone and alpha
> > release
> > names may discourage people from trying a release as it makes it sound
> > unstable. The spec defined SCA APIs are stable now and we're talking
> about
> > making stable SPIs for this next release, so the Tuscany externals are
> > becoming stable and that sounds better than alpha quality to me.
> >
> > So how about the next Tuscany SCA release is named beta1? and we could
> try
> > to get DAS and SDO to also follow that naming?
> >
> > Any comments or alternative name suggestions?

Ant

This is an interesting idea. I think going to beta1 will better describe the
type of release I (we) would like to see. I think though that this does
underline our need to get the supporting material e.g. samples, docs etc. up
to the level we would expect of a beta release. This is not a surprise, it's
been discussed on the release content thread and elsewhere but I think a
naming proposition like this can help focus the mind (separate thread
required to get all this stuff sorted)

So are you suggesting we go to 1.0-incubating-beta1 as Kelvin suggested.

Are there any modules that would be part of a beta release but would not be
named this way?I don't have anything in mind just asking.

Are there modules that we have in the build that we would choose to leave
out if we call it a beta release?

Simon

Re: Next release name? (was: Re: [DISCUSS] Next version - What should be in it)

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@thegoodsons.org.uk>.
Ant,
  thanks for the pointers here.  I am persisting with this,  but I thought
I'd just post an update as this doesn't seem to be working as it should.  I
have two main problems,  one is when attempting to deploy the SDO tools jar
by command -- see [1], the maven command removes the pom i'm trying to
deploy in mid flow.

The other is deploying the standalone pom corresponding to the SDO reactor
build.  There is guidance at [2] but neither way described there seems to
work,  for the straight file deploy route i get [3]

I'll keep plugging on, but if anyone has any insights they are very welcome

Kelvin

[1]
C:\Documents and
Settings\ibm_user\.m2\repository\org\apache\tuscany\sdo\tuscany-sdo-tools\1.0-incubating-beta1>ls
tuscany-sdo-tools-1.0-incubating-beta1.jar
tuscany-sdo-tools-1.0-incubating-beta1.pom

C:\Documents and
Settings\ibm_user\.m2\repository\org\apache\tuscany\sdo\tuscany-sdo-tools\1.0-incubating-beta1>mvn
deploy:de
ploy-file -DrepositoryId=people.apache.org-Durl=scp://people.apache.org/home/kelvingoodson/public_html/repo
-DgeneratePom=fa
lse -DpomFile=tuscany-sdo-tools-1.0-incubating-beta1.pom -Dfile=
tuscany-sdo-tools-1.0-incubating-beta1.jar -DgeneratePom=fals
e -DgroupId=org.apache.tuscany.sdo -DartifactId=tuscany-sdo-tools -Dversion=
1.0-incubating-beta1
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'deploy'.
[INFO]
[INFO] Building Maven Default Project
[INFO]    task-segment: [deploy:deploy-file] (aggregator-style)
[INFO]
[INFO] [deploy:deploy-file]
Password:: ********
Uploading:
scp://people.apache.org/home/kelvingoodson/public_html/repo/org/apache/tuscany/sdo/tuscany-sdo-tools/1.0-incubatin
g-beta1/tuscany-sdo-tools-1.0-incubating-beta1.jar
108K uploaded
[INFO] Retrieving previous metadata from people.apache.org
Password:: ********
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Error installing artifact's metadata: Error installing metadata:
Error copying POM to the local repository.

File C:\Documents and
Settings\ibm_user\.m2\repository\org\apache\tuscany\sdo\tuscany-sdo-tools\1.0-incubating-beta1\tuscany-
sdo-tools-1.0-incubating-beta1.pom does not exist

[2]

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Deploy+Plugin

[3]

C:\temp>mvn deploy:deploy-file
-DgroupId=org.apache.tuscany.sdo-DartifactId=tuscany-sdo -Dversion=
1.0-incubating-beta1 -Dpac
kaging=pom -Dfile=tuscany-sdo-1.0-incubating-beta1.pom-Durl=scp://people.apache.org/home/kelvingoodson/public_html/repo
-Dre
positoryId=people.apache.org -DgeneratePom=false
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'deploy'.
[INFO]
[INFO] Building Maven Default Project
[INFO]    task-segment: [deploy:deploy-file] (aggregator-style)
[INFO]
[INFO] [deploy:deploy-file]
Password:: ********
Uploading:
scp://people.apache.org/home/kelvingoodson/public_html/repo/org/apache/tuscany/sdo/tuscany-sdo/1.0-incubating-beta
1/tuscany-sdo-1.0-incubating-beta1.pom
6K uploaded
[INFO] Retrieving previous metadata from people.apache.org
Password:: ********
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] null
[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.codehaus.plexus.util.FileUtils.copyFile(FileUtils.java:795)
        at
org.apache.maven.project.artifact.ProjectArtifactMetadata.storeInLocalRepository
(ProjectArtifactMetadata.java:92)
        at
org.apache.maven.artifact.repository.metadata.DefaultRepositoryMetadataManager.deploy
(DefaultRepositoryMetadataMan
ager.java:428)
        at org.apache.maven.artifact.deployer.DefaultArtifactDeployer.deploy
(DefaultArtifactDeployer.java:86)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.deploy.DeployFileMojo.execute(
DeployFileMojo.java:236)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(
DefaultPluginManager.java:420)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:539)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeStandaloneGoal(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:493)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:463)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures
(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:311
)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:224)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:143)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:330)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:123)
NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:64)
DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java
:315)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java
:430)
[INFO]

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
I've got to the point where I have packaged up a new beta1 SDO java release
candidate in the style if the last one [1],  but that's only part of the
process now that I have to set up a remote maven repository as a staging
post for the deployed release candidate artifacts (as per the recent
discussion on incubator general).
I'm just about to figure out how to create/configure the repo, but any tips
on the process for making the maven repo are welcome;  I'll post back my
findings.

[1] http://people.apache.org/~kelvingoodson/sdo_java/beta1/RC1/

Kelvin.

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.