Posted to kerby@directory.apache.org by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org> on 2015/07/03 05:33:23 UTC

state of KDC

Can anyone summarize what our KDC can and cannot do?

I want to know what features are currently supported and what not and
what are in progress.

thank you

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

RE: state of KDC

Posted by "Li, Jiajia" <ji...@intel.com>.
Thanks Kiran for raising this question, I'm writing the summary and will have the report later.

Thanks
Jiajia

Re: state of KDC

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Li, Jiajia <ji...@intel.com> wrote:

> Kerby Status Summary
>
> Supported(done and almost done):
> 1.      Kerberos library:
>    KrbClient API
>    KDC server API
>    Kadmin API
>    Credential cache and keytab utilities
> 2.      Provides a standalone KDC server .
> 3.      Supports various identity backends including:
> a)      MemoryIdentityBackend
> b)      JsonIdentityBackend
> c)      LdapIdentityBackend
> d)      ZookeeperIdentityBackend
> e)      MavibotBackend.
> 4.      Provides an embedded KDC server named SimpleKdcServer that
> applications can easily integrate into products, unit tests or integration
> tests.
> 5.      Supports FAST/Preauthentication framework to allow popular and
> useful authentication mechanisms.
> 6.      Supports Token Preauth mechanism to allow clients to request
> tickets using JWT tokens.
> 7.      Client can request a TGT with:
> a)      User plain password credential
> b)      User keyTab
> c)      User token credential
> 8.      Client can request a service ticket with:
> a)      user TGT credential for a server
> b)      user AccessToken credential for a server
> 9.      Network support including UDP and TCP transport with two
> implementations:
> a)      Default implementation based on the JRE without depending on other
> libraries.
> b)      Netty based implementation for better throughput, lower latency.
> 10.     Tools:
> a)      kadmin: Command-line interfaces to the Kerby administration system.
> b)      kinit: Obtains and caches an initial ticket-granting ticket for
> principal.
> c)      klist: Lists the Kerby principal and tickets held in a credentials
> cache, or the keys held in a keytab file.
> 11.     Provides support for JAAS, GSSAPI and SASL frameworks that
> applications can leverage the authentication mechanisms provided by Kerby.
>
> In progress:
> 1.      Supports PKINIT mechanism to allow clients to request tickets
> using x509 certificate credentials. (50% is finished)
> 2.      Server scripts for Kerby KDC.
> 3.      Building support: checking style and find bugs.
> 4.      Integration and compatible tests.
> 5.      Building the web site.
>
> Plan to do:
> 1.      Supports OTP mechanism to allow clients to request tickets using
> One Time Password.
> 2.      Consolidate the existing Change Password protocol implementation.
> 3.      REST representation for Kadmin interface.
> 4.      Implement remote mode kadmin tool based on Kadmin REST API
> 5.      Web management console to simplify the configuration and management
> 6.      Write the admin guide and user guide.
> 7.      Implementing cross-realm support.

thank you

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

RE: state of KDC

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
>> how far are we from a release
Well, it depends. If we would not expect all to do items to be done in the first release, and just figure out what's the essential items to be done, then it's not far I guess. In my mind:
1. The left backend issues we're on-going;
2. Upcoming more end to end tests;
3. Javadocs for public APIs;
4. User doc and admin doc;
5. Web site;
6. Good manual tests for Kerby KDC and fixup;
7. More interop tests with AD and MIT Kerberos.
8. Maybe some found issues by checking styles and find bugs.

Any missing ones? Thanks.

Regards,
Kai

what is needed, too, is a "state of the union" report for Kerby :
- who is active
- who is a potential committer
- how far are we from a release

Kiran has to fill a report for the project at the beginning of next week (quaterly report sent to the Apache Board) and this information are very useful.

Re: state of KDC

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot !

RE: state of KDC

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Thanks Emmanuel for the thoughts.

>> I tend to think that the balance between JIRA/MailingList is not easy to make.
The problem is we seldom discuss specific questions deeply in JIRAs, thus we leave nothing context specifics for new contributors in future.

>>But I do think that ythe Mailing List get more attention than JIRAs.
As said above, this is because we don’t favor JIRAs, we are used to the ML. I'm not sure it's all the good practice.

Below just an example FYI. All the deep discussions can be tracked down here, from architecture, design to implementation. When some new guy wants to learn about the effort, we just point him/her there.

Kai

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

RE: state of KDC

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Thanks Kiran for the response.

>> you are all using JIRA well,
I'm afraid we're not, being far from good.

>>but it is only referred when one is working on a issue.
I thought big/important features should deserve a master JIRA, which should document well the requirement/goal, rough approach and design. So if anybody has concerns, just comment. It should be the same good as raised in the ML.

>> From now onwards sending a summary note before making any significant changes,
I'm OK with this and will do. Hope the developers all love to write, not only codes, but also docs and emails.

>>cause I believe the code base is already huge.
I would rather think it's a good base, at least we have codes to improve. It's a new Kerberos impl, and has so many things to catch up with. We're far from enough, still long way to go.

Regards,
Kai

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 4:43 PM, Zheng, Kai <ka...@intel.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I agree.
>
> One thing to note is we're making use of JIRA not very well in my view.
> For most features we added, we have JIRA entries. The bad thing is they got
> very few inputs. I thought we should rely more on JIRA system to discuss so
> they could be tracked well for following contributors, as most ASF projects
> do.

you are all using JIRA well, but it is only referred when one is working on
a issue.
>From now onwards sending a summary note before making any significant
changes, cause I believe

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

RE: state of KDC

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
This is the master JIRA that almost lists all the sub-tasks.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRKRB-102

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

RE: state of KDC

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Yeah, I agree.

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

Re: state of KDC

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

RE: state of KDC

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

RE: state of KDC

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Thank you Kiran!

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

RE: state of KDC

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Kiran,

RE: state of KDC

Re: state of KDC

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

Re: state of KDC

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

RE: RE: state of KDC

From:  "zhengkai";<ka...@intel.com>;
Date:  Thu, Jul 30, 2015 02:59 PM
To:  "kerby@directory.apache.org"<ke...@directory.apache.org>;

Thanks Jiajia for the nice status!

+1 to cut the 1.0.0-rc1 release when get the TODO items done.

Regards,
Kai

RE: state of KDC

RE: state of KDC

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Thanks Emmanuel for the guide!! Yes we will study it and prepare for the related materials. I thought the weekend is good soon, even OK from my side next week, if you could help and please take the time.

Regards,
Kai

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

RE: state of KDC

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Thanks for the update.

I don’t have the experience of having a release for a project in ASF, and guess at the least we should consider two things in my point of view:
1. Push the maven module artifacts to public places?
2. Prepare an announcement email?

As we may not have any downloadable binary packages, I'm wondering this is good enough. Thanks anyone that may have the time and lend the hand!

Regards,
Kai

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.

--