Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/30 20:46:04 UTC

partition as block?

Hi guys:

Im wondering - if I'm running mapreduce jobs on a cluster with large block
sizes - can i increase performance with either:

1) A custom FileInputFormat

2) A custom partitioner

3) -DnumReducers

Clearly, (3) will be an issue due to the fact that it might overload tasks
and network traffic... but maybe (1) or (2) will be a precise way to "use"
partitions as a "poor mans" block.

Just a thought - not sure if anyone has tried (1) or (2) before in order to
simulate blocks and increase locality by utilizing the partition API.

--
Jay Vyas
http://jayunit100.blogspot.com

Re: partition as block?

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
What do you mean "increasing the size"?  Im talking more about increasing the number of partitions... Which actually decreases individual file size.

>>> https://mtariq.jux.com/

Re: partition as block?

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

>>> https://mtariq.jux.com/