Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by adrien ruffie <ad...@hotmail.fr> on 2018/02/20 20:45:48 UTC

broker properties explanations

Hello all,

after reading several properties in Kafka documentations, I asked mysleft some questions ...

these 2 following options are available:

log.dir The directory in which the log data is kept (supplemental for log.dirs property)        string  /tmp/kafka-logs         high
log.dirs        The directories in which the log data is kept. If not set, the value in log.dir is used
But in fact, if is the same thing, why only "log.dirs" isn't kept ? What's difference in usage ?

Also I noticed that the "data" of logs partition and also the "application" logs of Kafka are written in the same directory.

Is a mistake of my part ? Because it's very strange for me to log error, debug, warn application message in the same location of my data ...

After that I don't very understand why the log.flush.interval.messages have a so big default value ???

log.flush.interval.messages     The number of messages accumulated on a log partition before messages are flushed to disk       long    9223372036854775807
And the log.flush.interval.ms is by default null ... ?

It means that until there are so many messages (9223372036854775807) in my topics, they will not be flushed to disk ? It can be very long for a default value ....

Best regards,

Adrien

RE: broker properties explanations

Posted by adrien ruffie <ad...@hotmail.fr>.
It's really help me, thank Thomas !

Just a jot of another question,

I don't understand correctly this property:

leader.imbalance.per.broker.percentage  The ratio of leader imbalance allowed per broker. The controller would trigger a leader balance if it goes above this value per broker. The value is specified in percentage.   int     10
 How the ratio is calculated ? The imbalance broker compare to what ? Moreover the 10% by default value is very small, no ?

Thank again Thomas,

Adrien

From:   adrien ruffie <ad...@hotmail.fr>
To:     "users@kafka.apache.org" <us...@kafka.apache.org>

[...]