Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by fchan <fc...@molsci.org> on 2008/02/26 00:56:50 UTC

Variable subject line spam.

Hi,
I'm get alot of these February 77% OFF or variations (ie January 73%
OFF and my guess March 75% OFF next month) thereof in the subject
line for spam. The body always changes so I can't really key on this.
I would like to make rule that subject line filter this type of spam.

Thank you in advanced,
Frank

Re: Variable subject line spam.

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@freenet.de>.
Am 2008-02-25 15:56:50, schrieb fchan:
> Hi,
> I'm get alot of these February 77% OFF or variations (ie January 73%
> OFF and my guess March 75% OFF next month) thereof in the subject
> line for spam. The body always changes so I can't really key on this.
> I would like to make rule that subject line filter this type of spam.
>
> Thank you in advanced,
> Frank
------------------------ END OF REPLIED MESSAGE ------------------------

I get them too, but very rarely.

On the other hand I get per day over 700 Backscaters of this
subject which mean, Spamers are using MY E-Mail address.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Re: Variable subject line spam.

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
fchan wrote:
> I'm get alot of these February 77% OFF or variations (ie January 73%
> OFF and my guess March 75% OFF next month) thereof in the subject
> line for spam.

Is that from Kohls?  I have been annoyed with their spam quite a bit
lately.  But I wouldn't block based upon the subject because I think
it would be too likely to have false positives on other mail.

  Subject: 50% Off Sale, Wednesday Only
  Subject: January Savings Sale + Free Shipping
  Subject: Hurry, Bonus Buys End Monday
  Subject: Two-Day Sale + Free Shipping Ends Wednesday
  Subject: Shop Clearance & Save up to 80%!
  Subject: FREE Shipping ends Saturday!

I blacklisted the sender.  I eventually hope to have them respond to
my mailings to their abuse address and have them clean up their act.
I actually think they are an okay company that has simply fallen into
using a bad marketing company.  I am hoping they clean up and go
straight.

Bob

Re: Variable subject line spam.

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> I'm get alot of these February 77% OFF or variations (ie January 73% OFF
> and my guess March 75% OFF next month) thereof in the subject line for
> spam. The body always changes so I can't really key on this. I would like
> to make rule that subject line filter this type of spam.

I have never seen one of these, so just going from your description I can
write a rule.  Whether it will match your actual spam (which I havne't seen)
I can't say.

header MO_PERCENT_OFF Subject =~
/(?:January|February|March|April|May)\s+\d\d\%\s+OFF\b/i

The above will cover you for about the first half of the year, add more
months as necessary.

        Loren