Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by "Beyer,Nathan" <NB...@cerner.com> on 2002/07/22 18:46:56 UTC

Default Output Method in Xalan 2.2

I'm using Xalan 2.2 do some transforming and I'd like to use the Output
Properties to do some conditional processing, but have noticed that the
default properties don't map up to the XSLT specification.

According to the specification, if the following is true, then the default
"method" should be "html".
*	the root node of the result tree has an element child,
*	the expanded-name of the first element child of the root node (i.e.
the document element) of the result tree has local part html (in any
combination of upper and lower case) and a null namespace URI, and
*	any text nodes preceding the first element child of the root node of
the result tree contain only whitespace characters,
I'm not finding this to be the case in Xalan 2.2. It seems to always default
to "xml".

Here's the XSL I'm using to construct my transformer with:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
	<xsl:template match="/">
				Writing some information.
	</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Here's a list of all the properties and there values (these are the
defaults, since I'm not setting anything):
-- listing properties --
method=xml
encoding=UTF-8
omit-xml-declaration=no
{http://xml.apache.org/xslt}indent-amount=0
indent=no
standalone=no
{http://xml.apache.org/xslt}content-handler=org.apache.xalan.serialize.Seria
lizer...
{http://xml.apache.org/xslt}entities=org/apache/xalan/serialize/XMLEntitie..
.
version=1.0
media-type=text/xml

The odd part is that according to these properties, it should be outputting
an XML document with an XML declaration, but the output is coming out as
though the default "method" is "html".

Does anyone know if this is a known issue or if it's fixed in a later
version?

Thanks.
---
Nathan Beyer

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message and any included attachments are
from Cerner Corporation and are intended only
for the addressee. The information contained
in this message is confidential and may
constitute inside or non-public information
under international, federal, or state securities
laws. Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying,
distribution, or use of such information is
strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If
you are not the addressee, please promptly
the delivery error by e-mail or you may call
Cerner's corporate offices in Kansas City,
Missouri, U.S.A at (+1) (816)221-1024.
----------------------------------------- -

RE: Default Output Method in Xalan 2.2

Posted by Gary L Peskin <ga...@firstech.com>.
Nathan --

You haven't shown where you're getting the OutputProperties from or
exactly what sort of conditional processing you're trying to do.  Since
there is no xsl:output element, the properties switch has to occur at
run time once the output can be examined after the transform is
completed.

We'll need a fuller description of what you're trying to do before we
can intelligently address you're question.  XalanJ 2.2 should be working
fine in this regard, I believe.

Gary