Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2009/12/17 15:06:56 UTC

Fwd: ASF Board Meeting Summary - December 16, 2009

Hi all,

Based on some earlier discussion, it was our understanding that no further action was required regarding the Pivot project name; see this thread on legal-discuss (I haven't been able to locate the follow-up discussion on the trademarks list):

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200912.mbox/%3c168ef9ac0912031848w1996bbfp21913c2ec669e61b@mail.gmail.com%3e

However, based on the attached board meeting summary, it seems as though this may have changed. If so, what are the current issues, and what are the next steps?

Thanks for your help,
Greg Brown

Begin forwarded message:

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
FYI. I will post any relevant follow-up messages to the list.

Begin forwarded message:

Re: ASF Board Meeting Summary - December 16, 2009

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
That message indicated that Shane was going to follow up on legal internal, not this list. I don't recall having seen a query from him on legal internal.

Ralph

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
4B1928EB.9080304@shanecurcuru.org>

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Larry,

This seems like a perfectly reasonable approach to me. In the meantime, we will plan to continue under the name "Apache Pivot".

I assume that your office will be responsible for drafting and sending the letter - if this is not correct, please let me know. Also please let us know if there is anything else we need to do or can assist with.

Thanks again for your help,
Greg

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Larry,

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
You won't see any responses from Larry that provide the kind of answers you are looking for on this list as it is not attorney/client privileged. The legal-internal list is. Just be assured that Larry is taking the appropriate steps.

For the time being I would recommend not doing anything, unless you really don't like the project name and want to change it anyway.  I can tell you though, it is getting harder and harder to find names that don't have some sort of conflict.

Ralph

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Hi Roy,

> Hi folks.  There seems to be some misunderstanding of how we work around
> here.  The legal discuss list is for public discussion of licensing issues
> related to use of Apache projects.  The brand management list is for the
> new VP to organize and promote Apache brands.  The legal internal list is
> for discussion with Apache's lawyer.  The dev lists are for public
> technical development of our projects.
> If you want to have a discussion about legal strategy, the procedure is
> to have that discussion on legal-internal and CC your project's private
> list.

Makes perfect sense. Thank you for the clarification.

Greg

Re: ASF Board Meeting Summary - December 16, 2009

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Hi Roy,

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Dec 17, 2009, at 12:49 PM, Greg Brown wrote:

>> Important to emphasize this. The issue raised on the call was not
>> trademark but brand. This entire thread is noise :)
>
> I apologize for the "noise".  :-)  But the notes from the board meeting suggested that we work with both branding and legal to resolve any potential conflict:

Hi folks.  There seems to be some misunderstanding of how we work around
here.  The legal discuss list is for public discussion of licensing issues
related to use of Apache projects.  The brand management list is for the
new VP to organize and promote Apache brands.  The legal internal list is
for discussion with Apache's lawyer.  The dev lists are for public
technical development of our projects.

In other words, please don't ask *here* for advice from Apache's lawyers.

Larry has (and I presume will continue to do so) refused to hold strategy
discussions regarding our legal options on a public list.  That's because
of the way courts and privileged information works.  Please don't be
alarmed by that refusal.  He is absolutely right (trust me).

If you want to have a discussion about legal strategy, the procedure is
to have that discussion on legal-internal and CC your project's private
list.

Thank you for you concern,

....Roy

Re: ASF Board Meeting Summary - December 16, 2009

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
> Important to emphasize this. The issue raised on the call was not
> trademark but brand. This entire thread is noise :)

I apologize for the "noise".  :-)  But the notes from the board meeting suggested that we work with both branding and legal to resolve any potential conflict:

>>  A. Establish the Apache Pivot Project (Greg Brown, VP)
>>      The PMC is tasked to work with the Branding Cmmt and the
>>      Legal Cmmt regarding the use of the name 'Pivot' due to
>>      potential conflict.

Is there any additional discussion that we need to have from a brand perspective? If so, what is the appropriate venue?

Greg

Re: ASF Board Meeting Summary - December 16, 2009

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
>> In all seriousness, what, if anything, should we be doing about this? Do we need to change the project name? Are there other options? This is obviously a big deal for us because any re-branding is going to take time and is likely to hold up any announcements about our recent graduation.
>
> I would suggest following the advice of counsel (Larry) as a first step.

I agree 100% - Larry, please let us know how you think we should proceed.

Re: ASF Board Meeting Summary - December 16, 2009

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
Todd,

Understood, and I apologize to you for that.

FWIW, your attorney friend should have been more careful when he talked to
you. You're not expected to know--and I wouldn't have been so eager to jump
down your throat if you'd merely expressed your own opinion. I've become
sensitized to hearing absurd advice, particularly about open source but even
about more traditional IP subjects, from attorneys who should have studied
harder for the test. That part was just me being cranky.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
Office: 707-485-1242    Cell: 707-478-8932
Apache Software Foundation, member and counsel (www.apache.org)
Open Web Foundation, board member (www.openwebfoundation.org)
Stanford University, Instructor in Law
Author, Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and Intellectual Property
Law (Prentice Hall 2004)

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
Huh... it's like how TRW was granted a patent on geosynchronous orbit -
turns out you can patent gravity!  I guess that's why I'm not a lawyer :)

So how do we proceed?

-T

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.