Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by John Fleming <jo...@wa9als.com> on 2004/11/01 00:29:53 UTC

SOLVED Re: Load Average Problems

> > What am I missing?  - John
>
> OK, from the "spamd --help" output:
>      -m num, --max-children num         Allow maximum num children
>
> So that option is positively "a spamd thing." So how does one get that
> option into spamd? On the Mandrake test machine I have the init script
> in /etc/init.d as "spamassassin". It includes these lines:
> ====

Ahhh, THAT's what's missing from my understanding!  (plus a lot of other
stuff!)

I reviewed my spamassassin init.d script and saw the options in there.  A
comment line in there directed me to /etc/default/spamassassin (specific to
Debian).  GUESS WHAT I FOUND IN THERE?

OPTIONS="-c -m 10 -a -H"

GOOD GRIEF!  -m 10 and me with 512 RAM!

Hope my load average will go down soon!!  Thanks especially to Jason and
jdow and **WAIT** - I see I just got a msg from Duncan that directed me
specifically to /etc/default/spamassassin!!!

So I think the -m option could be added in the init script OR the
/etc/default/spamassassin file, but the init script is probably overwritten
during updates, so better to use the default file.

I know Fedora Core didn't used to have the /etc/default/spamassassin file,
so that is specific to Debian.

Thanks everyone!  - John

Re: SOLVED Re: Load Average Problems

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "John Fleming" <jo...@wa9als.com>
> > > What am I missing?  - John
> >
> > OK, from the "spamd --help" output:
> >      -m num, --max-children num         Allow maximum num children
> >
> > So that option is positively "a spamd thing." So how does one get that
> > option into spamd? On the Mandrake test machine I have the init script
> > in /etc/init.d as "spamassassin". It includes these lines:
> > ====
>
> Ahhh, THAT's what's missing from my understanding!  (plus a lot of other
> stuff!)
>
> I reviewed my spamassassin init.d script and saw the options in there.  A
> comment line in there directed me to /etc/default/spamassassin (specific
> Debian).  GUESS WHAT I FOUND IN THERE?
>
> OPTIONS="-c -m 10 -a -H"
>
> GOOD GRIEF!  -m 10 and me with 512 RAM!
>
> Hope my load average will go down soon!!  Thanks especially to Jason and
> jdow and **WAIT** - I see I just got a msg from Duncan that directed me
> specifically to /etc/default/spamassassin!!!
>
> So I think the -m option could be added in the init script OR the
> /etc/default/spamassassin file, but the init script is probably
overwritten
> during updates, so better to use the default file.
>
> I know Fedora Core didn't used to have the /etc/default/spamassassin file,
> so that is specific to Debian.

Um, I just look at the actual script file for the distro in use and see
where *IT* expects the options file. It works better that way.

(I know I overkilled the explanation. I hoped it would increase the
understanding better than a rote solution.)

{^_-}