Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Harsh Gupta <ha...@indiatimes.co.in> on 2008/09/23 09:11:51 UTC

Add new Widgets or plugin capability

I have 2 questions

Does Roller support adding new widget capability, like the one that blogger
or Wordpress supports? For e.g In Wordpress you get some widgets plugins
that can be incorporated into Wordpress to get this widgeting functionality.
http://www.nabble.com/file/p19622443/widget.gif
I am on the way to add this to roller.

My second question is "what all editorial/admin customization can be done in
roller?" For Eg if i want to keep different editorial layout for different
user or if i want show different editorial fields for different users, then
can it be done or not. I know that editorial theme can be changed by
changing a roller property but that only changes look & feel and not the
layout.
Ofcourse the theme and layout can be changed on user's view side by changing
the templates but can the same be achieved for editorial part as well?

Re: Add new Widgets or plugin capability

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
Sorry about the delayed response, I've had too many deadlines at once.

Comments inline below...

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Harsh Gupta
<ha...@indiatimes.co.in> wrote:
> Does Roller support adding new widget capability, like the one that blogger
> or Wordpress supports? For e.g In Wordpress you get some widgets plugins
> that can be incorporated into Wordpress to get this widgeting functionality.
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p19622443/widget.gif
> I am on the way to add this to roller.

No, we do not have such a feature but we have discussed it before.

   Proposal: Widgets and Panels
   http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/zrw

> My second question is "what all editorial/admin customization can be done in
> roller?" For Eg if i want to keep different editorial layout for different
> user or if i want show different editorial fields for different users, then
> can it be done or not. I know that editorial theme can be changed by
> changing a roller property but that only changes look & feel and not the
> layout.
> Of course the theme and layout can be changed on user's view side by changing
> the templates but can the same be achieved for editorial part as well?

For the editor/admin UI, you'd have to do that by changing the Roller
Struts actions and JSP pages to obey your rules about which fields and
layouts to show for each yser.

- Dave