Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Sean Chittenden <se...@chittenden.org> on 2001/04/18 21:51:37 UTC

Build system that could integrate sub-projects (was Re: [VOTE] mod_proxy in?)

	Why doesn't apache use a dependencies based make system
similar to the ports tree in FreeBSD?

	This could be an extensible build system that would allow the
administrator to specify what modules you want, it could connect, sync
cvs/download tarball, configure, build, munge configuration files, and
install.
	As things stand there isn't an _easy_ "build and extend
apache" system other than apxs, which I know is intimidating to some
admins.  With the talk of mod_proxy and mod_rewrite becoming
submodules with different release cycles (which, IMHO, would be a
great idea), having such a build system would be pretty nice,
especially if the admin wants to get a newer version of the module.

	-sc

	PS I'm not talking about using a directory tree structure as
the ports does, I'm just referencing it as a system that automatically
fetches dependencies, builds, and integrates the software: in this
case with FreeBSD.

--
Sean Chittenden