Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Oleg V Alexeev <oa...@apache.org> on 2002/02/28 10:38:24 UTC

[BeanUtils] Is Converter interface usable?

Hello Jakarta,

  BeanUtils package contains Converter interface and comment to it
  contains words about - "...that can be registered and used within
  the BeanUtils package to manage the conversion...". Is it right? I
  search whole package, but none of classes contains Converter related
  code.

--
Best regards,
 Oleg                          mailto:oalexeev@apache.org

Re[2]: [BeanUtils] Is Converter interface usable?

Posted by Oleg V Alexeev <oa...@apache.org>.
Hello Paulo,

I am interested in it because of I need to convert bean values to the
String according to the user Locale. BeanUtils has not any tools to
perform such convert and I try to search any API to write my own
converter, but interface Converter alone in package - there are't any
classes that supports it.

So another question - can BeanUtils be extended to support locale
dependent convert? And if yes, please, point me to the right way - I
try to write it.

RE: [BeanUtils] Is Converter interface usable?

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Oleg V Alexeev wrote:

> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:38:24 +0300
> From: Oleg V Alexeev <oa...@apache.org>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: [BeanUtils] Is Converter interface usable?
>
> Hello Jakarta,
>
>   BeanUtils package contains Converter interface and comment to it
>   contains words about - "...that can be registered and used within
>   the BeanUtils package to manage the conversion...". Is it right? I
>   search whole package, but none of classes contains Converter related
>   code.

That is correct -- none of the current classes use this interface.  One
place I plan to use it is to generalize what ConvertUtils does (when
called by BeanUtils).  I also expect to use it in implementations of
DynaUtil (although not in the DynaUtil interface itself) that I build.

> --
> Best regards,
>  Oleg                          mailto:oalexeev@apache.org

Craig