Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <ri...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/01 02:09:03 UTC

compiling production jars with line number information

A long time ago, Kristian proposed that we compile the insane,
production jars with line number information, but not full debug
information. The idea would be to get more information out of production
stack traces at the cost of increasing the size of the jar files. Users
have renewed this discussion on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5543.

I have tried compiling the insane, production engine at debug level
"lines,source". That is what is needed in order to coax line numbers out
of stack traces. Here is what the engine jar weighs at various debug levels:

4.5M   full debug

3.7M   "lines,source"

3.2M   no debug

0.5M meg is a significant extra bloat on resource-constrained devices.
Nevertheless, I think that the expense is worth paying in order to gain
the benefit of more useful stack traces.

I recommend making this change. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: compiling production jars with line number information

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com>.
> I have tried compiling the insane, production engine at debug level
> "lines,source".

> I think that the expense is worth paying in order to gain the
> benefit of more useful stack traces.

+1. Improved supportability and field diagnosis is a big benefit for me.

bryan