Posted to dev@ponymail.apache.org by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org> on 2016/06/01 14:27:57 UTC

[DISCUSS] Issue tracking

Hi all,
I see from [1] that we are supposed to use JIRA to track issues, but it
seems instead that we are working with GitHub issue tracker [2] - the
only problem being that notification e-mails seem not to distinguish
well enough between issues and PRs (see [3] for an example).

So, how are we going to proceed? Stick with GH or move to JIRA? I
believe [1] should be updated, in case.

Regards.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/ponymail.html
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-ponymail/issues
[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/Zo6qang4l8jfyee

--
Francesco Chicchiricc

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC,
CXF Committer, OpenJPA Committer, PonyMail PPMC
http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: [DISCUSS] Issue tracking

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Ahh. So the tech is not supportive....

I guess we're still in uncharted waters visavis the risk of primarily using
a third party solution not under control of the ASF and the official
viewpoint of the ASF. I remember the 'apache-extra' on the Google platform.

Are we sure we want to put all our eggs in a basket held by a third party?

Best regards,

Pierre

Op zondag 5 juni 2016 heeft Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> het
volgende geschreven:

Re: [DISCUSS] Issue tracking

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Issue tracking

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Issue tracking

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Issue tracking

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Issue tracking

Posted by Ulises <ul...@gmail.com>.
I'm fine with either as well.

Re: [DISCUSS] Issue tracking

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Issue tracking

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Francesco Chicchiricc wrote on 6/1/16 10:27 AM:
> Hi all,
> I see from [1] that we are supposed to use JIRA to track issues, but it
> seems instead that we are working with GitHub issue tracker [2] - the
> only problem being that notification e-mails seem not to distinguish
> well enough between issues and PRs (see [3] for an example).
>
> So, how are we going to proceed? Stick with GH or move to JIRA? I
> believe [1] should be updated, in case.

+1 for using GH as the issue tracker.  This is still a reasonably small
project with a high percentage of ASF Members, so we have the overall
experience to ensure that we're still keeping clean IP and a welcoming
and open community.

Personally, I'd love to see all PRs/GH issues be clearly reflected via
email to a separate issues@ or similar mailing list for easier
filtering, but that's up to the project as a whole to decide.

The risk of GH's issue tracker going down or the like is mitigated by
having the notifications reflected in email, which we archive ourselves.
 It's also something I'd like to try as a way to encourage more GH-world
contributors to the project - since once we get a stable release, we may
well attract notice from plenty of other projects who are looking for
more powerful mail archive/reply systems than nabble or the like.

- Shane