Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2017/01/19 21:45:08 UTC

[VOTE] uimaj-sdk 3.0.0 rc3 (alpha)

Hi,

Here's RC3.  The changes from RC2 involved JCasGen for the new built-in types;
they were missing from tables JCasGen uses to construct the proper imports.

-----------

If you happen to use JCas in your pipelines, and have JCas classes other than
the standard built-in ones, these classes will need to be regenerated or
migrated.  If you use the Maven JCasGen plugin to generate the JCas classes as
part of your project's build, your good - nothing special need be done.

There is a migration tool, and there are scripts to run it, as well as Eclipse
launch configurations to run it.  The instructions for running this are in a new
documentation "book", part of the binary distribution (html and pdf) - it's
called the Uima V3 User's Guide.

The guide also has an overview section which lists the new features of this
release.  Many of these need more test cases written for them; I'm happy to
mentor any volunteers who want to improve the testing  .

The list of changes in Jira:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20UIMA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%203.0.0SDK-alpha

The source and binary zip/tars and the Eclipse update site are staged to

http://home.apache.org/~schor/uima-release-candidates/uv3-alpha-rc3/
<http://home.apache.org/%7Eschor/uima-release-candidates/uv3-alpha-rc3/>

The Maven artifacts are here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-1116/

The SVN tags are here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-3.0.0/

and for the Eclipse Update Site:
http://home.apache.org/~schor/uima-release-candidates/uv3-alpha-rc3/eclipse-update-site/
<http://home.apache.org/%7Eschor/uima-release-candidates/uv3-alpha-rc3/eclipse-update-site/>

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ] 0   Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Thanks.

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] [CANCELLED] uimaj-sdk 3.0.0 rc3 (alpha)

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Cancelled due to two issues https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-5270 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-5272

(bad hashcode impl, and redo 3 new built-ins as non-builtins for better
backwards compatibility and interoperability).

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] uimaj-sdk 3.0.0 rc3 (alpha)

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I agree with you but was scared of potential issues.  But I'll give it another
try, using -alpha and -beta, and then no suffix for the "real" release.

Eclipse artifacts (plugins, features) will be marked as 3.0.0.alpha (the dot is
the Eclipse convention).

I'll give it a try.  I think the trial builds (those with versions ending in
"-SNAPSHOT") are not quite correct because the maven build helper plugin that
converts between maven convention names and eclipse convention names does a
conversion only for the 1st '-', changing it to a period.
E.G.  a version "3.0.0-alpha-SNAPSHOT"  gets converted to
"3.0.0.alpha-SNAPSHOT", whereas
a version "3.0.0-SNAPSHOT" gets converted to "3.0.0.SNAPSHOT".

I think that might not be a problem for an actual release (where "-SNAPSHOT" is
dropped), because the version will be 3.0.0-alpha and the eclipse version will
be 3.0.0.alpha.

The other issue I saw was that the maven ordering of versions.  This is
discussed here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13004443/how-does-maven-sort-version-numbers

I think this will be OK except for -SNAPSHOT versions, but perhaps that's OK.

Thanks for "pushing back"... and motivating a deeper investigation into this
arcana ...

-Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
signatures OK

compare of svn tag with source-release: OK

issues-fixed - OK

LICENSE / NOTICE : no change from prev. 2.9.0 release
3 new 3rd party components in bin distr, all already covered under Apache v2
license, no notices

build from sources - OK.

in unzipped binary: ran adjust example paths, and doc analyzer. looked at
results in Java results viewer - OK

install into newly-unzipped Eclipse Neon, and run component descriptor editor
and jcasgen , using new built-in types - OK

[X] +1 OK to release

-Marshall