Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/30 16:37:04 UTC

Doing another 2.x release in a few weeks?

Its three weeks since the M5 release now and it would be good to try
to do more frequent releases so how about aiming for another release
in a few weeks time? Don't need to do anything about it yet, just if
you have things you're working on for the next release keep this time
frame in mind - so that would be done in two weeks leaving the last
week to sort out the release and voting. Does that suite everyone?

   ...ant

Re: Doing another 2.x release in a few weeks?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:11 AM, kelvin goodson
<ke...@apache.org> wrote:
> Comments so far are below.  Is it worth being on IRC while we check
> these things over so we can avoid duplication of effort?  We can
> always post summaries on the list at intervals.

Good idea, i'm there now.

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@apache.org>.
Comments so far are below.  Is it worth being on IRC while we check
these things over so we can avoid duplication of effort?  We can
always post summaries on the list at intervals.

o With all o.a.t.s artifacts blatted from my local repo and the
staging repo set to be the mirror for all things I can successfully
build and run the samples from an extraction of the source distro.

o README...
This caveat was introduced in M5,
"Please note that milestone releases may support experimental
features and APIs that may not exist in future releases."
.. what do we want to do with it now?

continuing to look it over ..
Kelvin.

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: Doing another 2.x release in a few weeks?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
I should work with everyones exsiting apache userids, let me know if
it doesn't. It would also be good to find a way so you don't need to
logon to look at the staged releases, i've no idea if thats possible
or not with Nexus.

   ...ant

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 3:24 PM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Mike Edwards
> <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Luciano Resende wrote:

>>> To my surprise, I still hear from people that are using Tuscany that
>>> they haven't look too serious in the 2.x yet, because it's a milestone
>>> release. Any reason not to call this our 2.0 release ?
>>>

>> Folks,
>>
>> +1 to another release - and I agree with Luciano, time to encourage folk to
>> use 2.x so I'm in favour of making this a full release.  We're getting close
>> on OASIS compliance and the functionality is looking good.
>>

> I agree calling these "milestone" releases puts people of using it.
> How about though we call this next release something else (beta?) and
> do the one after that as 2.0? That would give a little more time to
> polish things so when people do try it they get a good experience.
> There is still quite a lot that could do with tidying - the samples,
> website, etc, - and I'm not sure we'd get much of that done in just
> the next three weeks along with all the other work that is currently
> being done.
>
>   ...ant

+1 for next release being a beta. Once we catch up with recent changes
in the JCA otests and complete the last few tests elsewhere we'll be
looking good, given the current state of the OASIS tests, in
demonstrating the full set of "core" function which I believe includes
Assembly, JCA, JCI, Policy, WS. I put "core" as this is the minimum
set of function required to actually run the otests.

The otests may still change of course but it seems right to be going
for a beta so that we can then work on polishing the runtime, docs
etc. while people take a look at the beta and report back.

Simon

Re: Doing another 2.x release in a few weeks?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Luciano Resende wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 7:37 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Its three weeks since the M5 release now and it would be good to try
>> to do more frequent releases so how about aiming for another release
>> in a few weeks time? Don't need to do anything about it yet, just if
>> you have things you're working on for the next release keep this time
>> frame in mind - so that would be done in two weeks leaving the last
>> week to sort out the release and voting. Does that suite everyone?
>>
>> Â  ...ant
>>

> To my surprise, I still hear from people that are using Tuscany that
> they haven't look too serious in the 2.x yet, because it's a milestone
> release. Any reason not to call this our 2.0 release ?

Folks,

+1 to another release - and I agree with Luciano, time to encourage folk to use 2.x so I'm in favour
of making this a full release.  We're getting close on OASIS compliance and the functionality is
looking good.

Yours,  Mike.

Re: Doing another 2.x release in a few weeks?

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Florian MOGA <mo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Luciano,

If you decide on doing the 2.0-M6 I'd be happy to help in order to
get accustomed with how a release is being done. By that time people will be
working on the distribution structure where i won't interfere (at most
giving feedback/comments on the mailing list) so I'll be available in the
limit of the time i can find. It would definitely be a useful experience for
me.

Florian

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 6:03 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Florian MOGA <mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Simon, are you suggesting to cut down a branch prior to doing the build
>>> structure modifications and make them on the branch? What's the procedure
>>> you are following when doing a release?
>>>

>> No, I'm suggesting we get trunk into shape and then cut the branch.
>>

> Guys, I'm really in need of a new release, and it seems that we are
> spending too much time on structuring the source/samples instead. Do
> you guys think we are going to have a release in the next two weeks ?
> Otherwise I'll try to cut a M5.1 or M6 (based on m5) in the next
> couple days with the fixes I need.
>

> --
> Luciano Resende
> http://people.apache.org/~lresende
> http://twitter.com/lresende1975
> http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Hi Luciano

I'd very much like to get the release out ASAP. I think we've done
enough thinking about restructuring to do the beta release. The beta
will give us the chance to stand back and see if we like it or not.
There is still lots to do in terms of fixing sample build
scripts/READMEs/docs etc. but I hope that won't take too long and we
*can* do this within two weeks.

Simon

Re: Doing another 2.x release in a few weeks?

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Florian MOGA <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Florian MOGA <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> OK lets wait and see how it goes this week. I think it will be easiest
>> for now to create a new branch when we're ready than to continue
>> merging updates to the current release branch, but if anyone is about
>> to do any big changes such as the schema updates which may take a
>> little while to stabalize can they say first so we can take a new
>> release branch.
>>
>>   ...ant
>>

> Yes, that sounds reasonable.

Ok so as you can see i've not yet had time to do anything about the
release, if anyone else wants to start doing it then please do so. If
no one else does then I should have more time to help get it done in a
week or two.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

> OK lets wait and see how it goes this week. I think it will be easiest
> for now to create a new branch when we're ready than to continue
> merging updates to the current release branch, but if anyone is about
> to do any big changes such as the schema updates which may take a
> little while to stabalize can they say first so we can take a new
> release branch.
>
>   ...ant

Yes, that sounds reasonable.

Simon

Re: Doing another 2.x release in a few weeks?

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1.
> Let's see how we can make the release process less painful.
> Raymond
> Raymond Feng
> rfeng@apache.org
> Apache Tuscany PMC member and committer: tuscany.apache.org
> Co-author of Tuscany SCA In Action book: www.tuscanyinaction.com
> Personal Web Site: www.enjoyjava.com
> On Jun 30, 2010, at 7:37 AM, ant elder wrote:
>
> Its three weeks since the M5 release now and it would be good to try
> to do more frequent releases so how about aiming for another release
> in a few weeks time? Don't need to do anything about it yet, just if
> you have things you're working on for the next release keep this time
> frame in mind - so that would be done in two weeks leaving the last
> week to sort out the release and voting. Does that suite everyone?
>
>   ...ant

+1 for doing another release.

Simon

Re: Doing another 2.x release in a few weeks?

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
+1.