Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ac...@saysit.com on 2003/08/11 11:02:27 UTC

Re: [OT] how to pronounce Apache ?

Apache has NOTHING to do with indigenous American people.
It stands for "a patchy" software.

Posted by Timothy Stone <ci...@petmystone.com>.
John Turner wrote:

> Sheesh...that wasn't the poster's point.  The point was:  "the
> pronunciation is the same as the pronunciation of "Apache" when the
> context is "a Native American people".
>
> John
>
> achana@saysit.com wrote:
>
>> Apache has NOTHING to do with indigenous American people.
>> It stands for "a patchy" software.

Let's set the record straight here and turn to the source for
information, the Apache Software Foundation (ASF). ASF states that the
Apache webserver is indeed, first and foremost, named out of respect for
"indigenous American people":

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#name

"The name 'Apache' was chosen from respect for the Native American
Indian tribe of Apache (Indé), well-known for their superior skills in
warfare strategy and their inexhaustible endurance. For more information
on the Apache Nation, we suggest searching Google, Northernlight, or
AllTheWeb.

"Secondarily, and more popularly (though incorrectly) accepted, it's a
considered cute name which stuck. Apache is 'A PAtCHy server'. It was
based on some existing code and a series of 'patch files'."

Check your sources folks. While the more popular "A PAtCHy server" is
legendary, it is incorrectly attributed as the reason for the server's name.

And in closing John is right, I don't think that the original poster was
looking for a thread on the geneology of the name given to the leading
HTTPD server, but for the correct pronunciation. M-W.com has the following:

&-'pa-chE

For more information on pronunciation, see http://www.m-w.com/pronguid2.htm

Tim

Re: [OT] how to pronounce Apache ?

Posted by Timothy Stone <ci...@petmystone.com>.

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
> Apache has NOTHING to do with indigenous American people.
> It stands for "a patchy" software.

If that's a pun, it's a bit out of place. If it's a joke, so be it. If it is an oppinion, then you got something mixed up - what's the feather on the web site for?

Nix.