Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Richard Clarke <cl...@cs.man.ac.uk> on 2001/11/30 01:16:20 UTC

virtual memory usage grows and grows.

Hi,
    I'm using 1.3.22 with mod_perl. I have a perl script which is used to
record site hits and is executed about 150 per/sec using mod_perl. My
problem is that all the httpd processes' virtual memory usage grows and
grows non stop, bit by bit until all the virtual memory is gone and the
system crashes. Could this be something to do with mod_perl?

Any help would be much appreciated.

    Ric

Re: virtual memory usage grows and grows.

Posted by Norbert Hartl <ru...@selfish.org>.
Richard Clarke wrote:

> Hi,
>     I'm using 1.3.22 with mod_perl. I have a perl script which is used to
> record site hits and is executed about 150 per/sec using mod_perl. My
> problem is that all the httpd processes' virtual memory usage grows and
> grows non stop, bit by bit until all the virtual memory is gone and the
> system crashes. Could this be something to do with mod_perl?

It could. Perl uses a Garbage Collector. If you assign variables in

mod_perl scripts you have to take care of 'circular references'.
That means you have two datastructures pointing to each other.
This way you trick the garbage collector which is then unable
to free memory.

just an idea.

Norbert

Apache-tomcat integration problems

Posted by amol <am...@yahoo.com>.
i have successfully installed tomcat and apache.
both of them run independently.
now, i am trying to connect them.

i did all that was mentioned in the install.txt that comes with the
webapp-module for tomcat4
mainly under apache, added following lines in httpd.config
"LoadModule webapp_module modules/mod_webapp.so"
and "AddModule mod_webapp.c"

then, i restarted tomcat. it works ( made it work on port 8080 )
then, tried to restart apache.
but it fails to start.
in error.log, i get the following message :
[crit] (2)No such file or directory: make_sock: failed to get a socket for
port 80

on the prompt, it says
"[warn] pid file c:/apache/apache/logs/httpd.pid overwritten -- Unclean
shutdown of previous Apache run?
Apache/1.3.22 (Win32) running..."

when i try to 'stop' it, it gives "[emerg] (2)The system cannot find the
file specified: OpenEvent on ap606_shutdown event"

any guidance??
if i revert the changes made to httpd.config apache starts properly again.

i am on NT4 with tomcat-4.0.1 and apache 1.3.22. Tomcat has been installed
as a service

thnx
amol

Re: virtual memory usage grows and grows.

Posted by Richard Clarke <cl...@cs.man.ac.uk>.
It's a dual 1ghz + 1gig ram running fbsd 4.3-stable. Any ideas on the
virtual memory increase problem?

Ric