Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Chas Williams <ch...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/01 00:02:15 UTC

HttpCore NIO: "Status Code May Not Be Negative"

Hi all,

     I'm having an issue with a long-running piece of web-crawling software
built using the HttpCore NIO extensions. Whenever the IOReactor encounters
an http server that (incorrectly) returns a negative status code, the entire
IOReactor shuts down.

     I've tried overriding the default exception handler, which seems to
have no effect.

Here's the exception (from the IOReactor's audit log):

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Status code may not be negative.
        at
org.apache.http.message.BasicStatusLine.<init>(BasicStatusLine.java:74)
        at
org.apache.http.message.BasicLineParser.createStatusLine(BasicLineParser.java:453)
        at
org.apache.http.message.BasicLineParser.parseStatusLine(BasicLineParser.java:431)
        at
org.apache.http.impl.nio.codecs.HttpResponseParser.createMessage(HttpResponseParser.java:75)
        at
org.apache.http.impl.nio.codecs.AbstractMessageParser.parseHeadLine(AbstractMessageParser.java:147)
        at
org.apache.http.impl.nio.codecs.AbstractMessageParser.parse(AbstractMessageParser.java:196)
        at
org.apache.http.impl.nio.DefaultNHttpClientConnection.consumeInput(DefaultNHttpClientConnection.java:160)
        at
org.apache.http.impl.nio.DefaultClientIOEventDispatch.inputReady(DefaultClientIOEventDispatch.java:146)
        at
org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.BaseIOReactor.readable(BaseIOReactor.java:153)
        at
org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.AbstractIOReactor.processEvent(AbstractIOReactor.java:314)
        at
org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.AbstractIOReactor.processEvents(AbstractIOReactor.java:294)
        at
org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.AbstractIOReactor.execute(AbstractIOReactor.java:256)
        at
org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.BaseIOReactor.execute(BaseIOReactor.java:96)
        at
org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.AbstractMultiworkerIOReactor$Worker.run(AbstractMultiworkerIOReactor.java:556)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

I used the setExceptionHandler() method to override the default exception
handler for my ConnectingIOReactor object, here's my implementation:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

public class MyIOReactorExceptionHandler implements
IOReactorExceptionHandler
{

    public boolean handle(IOException arg0)
    {
        System.err.println("MyIOReactorExceptionHandler encountered
IOException: " + arg0);
        return true;
    }

    public boolean handle(RuntimeException arg0)
    {
        System.err.println("MyIOReactorExceptionHandler encountered
RuntimeException: " + arg0);

        //Ignore this one
        if (arg0 instanceof IllegalArgumentException &&
arg0.getMessage().contains("Status code may not be negative."))
        {
            System.err.println("...ignoring recoverable error: " +
arg0.getMessage());
            return false;
        }

        System.err.println("Signaling unrecoverable error...");

        return true;
    }

}

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking my program logs, it seems like the handle(RuntimeException) method
is called, and "ignoring recoverable error: ..." is printed, but the
IOReactor still shuts down.

What am I missing here? Is there a better way to recover from this error
without shutting down the IOReactor?

Thanks,

Chas

Re: HttpCore NIO: "Status Code May Not Be Negative"

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Chas Williams wrote:
> Well, that's embarrassing ;). Thanks Oleg.

It is equally embarrassing to be responsible for having designed a
non-intuitive API ;) Boolean return values are evil. I never get them right.

I made some changes to the SVN trunk to improve handling of negative
HTTP status codes. As of 4.1-BETA1 HttpCore will throw a checked
ProtocolException instead of IllegalArgumentExcpetion in such a case.

Cheers

Oleg

Posted by Chas Williams <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.