Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Jens Grivolla <j+...@grivolla.net> on 2011/05/04 11:10:50 UTC

Cas Editor: selecting annotation type

Hi,

I have recently started using the Annotation Editor (as installed in
Eclipse from http://www.apache.org/dist/uima/eclipse-update-site/, i.e.
the official 2.3.1 version).

In order to add annotations it seems that you need to select the
annotation type through the "Mode" context menu, which is quite time
consuming (and error prone) if you have a large type system, and
especially when the wanted type is derived through several levels of
supertypes.  Given that you already select the types of interest through
the "Annotation Styles" configuration, it would be much faster to e.g.
select your annotation mode directly from the Outline view (which only
contains your chosen subset).

It seems that there are quite a few changes in the trunk, but I'm not
sure how to best use those versions, preferably without messing up my
Eclipse configuration (which is a bit fragile when using manually
installed plugins).

Thanks,
Jens

Re: Cas Editor: selecting annotation type

Posted by Jens Grivolla <j+...@grivolla.net>.
On 05/05/2011 12:59 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> On 5/5/11 12:55 PM, Jens Grivolla wrote:
>> On 05/05/2011 12:37 PM, Jens Grivolla wrote:
>>> I'm getting errors when opening an
>>> XMI with the Annotation editor:
>>>
>>> Caused by: org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ResourceException:
>>> Resource '/OneOfMyClosedProjects' is not open.
>>> at
>>> org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.checkAccessible(Project.java:137)
>>>

>>> at
>>> org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.hasNature(Project.java:511)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.uima.caseditor.CasEditorPlugin.start(CasEditorPlugin.java:90)
>>>
>>> Apparently the migration from CasEditorProjects to the new way fails
>>> whenever there is a closed project in the workspace. I don't have any
>>> projects that need to be migrated, but it tries to check every project I
>>> have and fails hard when it can't. It would be good if somebody could
>>> verify that before filing a bug report.
>>
>> It works fine after I removed the check.
>>
>> - if ( project.hasNature("org.apache.uima.caseditor.NLPProject")) {
>> + if (false) {
>
> Yes, but that would disable to migration code.
>
> The fix is now:
> if (project.isOpen() &&
> project.hasNature("org.apache.uima.caseditor.NLPProject"))

Of course, it was just to get it working as soon as possible.  I
recompiled with your fix and reinstalled the plugins, and I see no problems.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 5/5/11 12:55 PM, Jens Grivolla wrote:
> On 05/05/2011 12:37 PM, Jens Grivolla wrote:
>> I'm getting errors when opening an
>> XMI with the Annotation editor:
>>
>> Caused by: org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ResourceException:
>> Resource '/OneOfMyClosedProjects' is not open.
>> at
>> org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.checkAccessible(Project.java:137)
>>

>> at
>> org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.hasNature(Project.java:511)
>> at
>> org.apache.uima.caseditor.CasEditorPlugin.start(CasEditorPlugin.java:90)
>>
>> Apparently the migration from CasEditorProjects to the new way fails
>> whenever there is a closed project in the workspace. I don't have any
>> projects that need to be migrated, but it tries to check every project I
>> have and fails hard when it can't. It would be good if somebody could
>> verify that before filing a bug report.
>
> It works fine after I removed the check.
>
> - if ( project.hasNature("org.apache.uima.caseditor.NLPProject")) {
> + if (false) {

Yes, but that would disable to migration code.

The fix is now:
if (project.isOpen() &&
project.hasNature("org.apache.uima.caseditor.NLPProject"))

Jörn

Re: Cas Editor: selecting annotation type

Posted by Jens Grivolla <j+...@grivolla.net>.
On 05/05/2011 12:37 PM, Jens Grivolla wrote:
> I'm getting errors when opening an
> XMI with the Annotation editor:
>
> Caused by: org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ResourceException:
> Resource '/OneOfMyClosedProjects' is not open.
> at
> org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.checkAccessible(Project.java:137)
>
> at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.hasNature(Project.java:511)
> at org.apache.uima.caseditor.CasEditorPlugin.start(CasEditorPlugin.java:90)
>
> Apparently the migration from CasEditorProjects to the new way fails
> whenever there is a closed project in the workspace. I don't have any
> projects that need to be migrated, but it tries to check every project I
> have and fails hard when it can't. It would be good if somebody could
> verify that before filing a bug report.

It works fine after I removed the check.

- if ( project.hasNature("org.apache.uima.caseditor.NLPProject")) {
+ if (false) {

Bye,

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 5/5/11 12:53 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> On 5/5/11 12:37 PM, Jens Grivolla wrote:
>> It seems to have picked it up ok, but I'm getting errors when opening
>> an XMI with the Annotation editor:
>>
>> Caused by: org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ResourceException:
>> Resource '/OneOfMyClosedProjects' is not open.
>>     at
>> org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.checkAccessible(Project.java:137)
>>     at
>> org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.hasNature(Project.java:511)
>>     at
>> org.apache.uima.caseditor.CasEditorPlugin.start(CasEditorPlugin.java:90)
>>
>> Apparently the migration from CasEditorProjects to the new way fails
>> whenever there is a closed project in the workspace.  I don't have
>> any projects that need to be migrated, but it tries to check every
>> project I have and fails hard when it can't.  It would be good if
>> somebody could verify that before filing a bug report.
>
> Thanks for reporting this, the call to hasNature fails if the project
> is closed.
> I will open the jira issue myself and then commit my fix.

The fix is checked in now.

Here is the issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-2136

I resolved the issue, would be nice if you can close it to confirm
that the problem is really fixed.

Jörn

Re: Cas Editor: selecting annotation type

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jens Grivolla <j+...@grivolla.net>.
On 05/04/2011 02:44 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> On 5/4/11 2:33 PM, Jens Grivolla wrote:
>> How do I best update to the
>> trunk version?
>
> You can either build the trunk version yourself or pick up a
> distribution from our build server.

I've got a local build based on trunk.

> I am not sure what is the best way to update, or what will happen if an
> old and newer version is installed
> into the same eclipse installation.
> I would try to put the new eclipse plugins into the dropins folder, and
> then see if they get loaded instead,
> if not I suggest that you remove the plugins installed via "Install new
> software...".

It seems to have picked it up ok, but I'm getting errors when opening an

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 5/4/11 2:33 PM, Jens Grivolla wrote:
> Unfortunately this consistently freezes Eclipse every time I have
> tried it, so I haven't even been able to see what it is supposed to
> do.  The keyboard shortcuts might help, if it worked.  We've tried it
> on several versions of Eclipse (all on Linux), and all freeze
> completely when pressing Shift-Return or clicking on the corresponding
> menu item.

I also encounter this issue recently and fixed it, more details can be
found here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-2112

When there are more types than reserved key shortcuts the assignment
code which assign a
key shortcut to a type hits an endless loop. Since this code runs in the
UI thread, you need
to kill eclipse to recover from this bug.

Posted by Jens Grivolla <j+...@grivolla.net>.

Posted by Jens Grivolla <j+...@grivolla.net>.
On 05/05/2011 09:30 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> On 5/5/11 6:09 PM, Jens Grivolla wrote:
>>>>
>>> Ok, I will investigate that. But then this was not the system where you
>>> experienced the hang issue in the 2.3.1 version?
>>
>> As you said, the freeze was due to the shortcut creation when the type
>> system is too big, and it ocurred on all machines.
>>
>> I sometimes have to press return twice to get a "quick annotation",
>> too, and on a different machine (Eclipse Helios on Windows XP) it
>> worked even less, to the point that I had to use the context menu.
>
> I opened a jira for the short cut issue and fixed it, would be nice if
> you could
> test. I believe the issue is related to a recently defined command and
> key binding in the
> plugin.xml. I also now did this for the quick type selection dialog
> short cut.
>
> Here is the jira:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-2139

Shift+Enter now seems to work reliably. Plain Enter works when I select
a word via double click, but has problems when I select a text span (on
my Linux machine). Shift+Enter works in that case, and plain Enter works
after pressing Shift+Enter or just pressing any other key, eg. Shift or
Ctrl.

>> On that machine the "edit view" was having problems, too, and I
>> usually had to click on the feature name before being able to activate
>> the feature value field. I haven't tried Shift+Enter on that machine.
>
> Did you run the current trunk on that machine? If so would be nice if
> you can give me further details
> about the edit view issues. What type had the feature you clicked on?
> Are there exceptions in the error log?

Yes, that was running trunk with yesterday morning's fixes.
Unfortunately, I don't have access to that machine anymore and can't
give you any more details at this point.  We do have some other Windows
machines though, and I will look if I find anything in the error logs
both on Linux and Windows.

>>> This you can easily do when you pre-process the files you pass to the
>>> annoator, or post-process when he gives them back.
>>
>> I've been thinking about that option. It would be quite easy at the
>> document level, but becomes a bit more complicated when each
>> annotation can come from a different annotator and files get passed
>> from one annotator to the next.
>
> For one project I created a small plugin which just defined a view for
> something similar.
> Its actual not difficult to access the CAS and updates to it through the
> Annotation Editor.

We're currently thinking of just post-processing the XMIs and adding the
annotator name to all annotations (of the types of interest) that don't
have a name set yet.  We'll look into doing something more sophisticated
for the next round of annotations.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 5/5/11 6:09 PM, Jens Grivolla wrote:
> On 05/05/2011 03:04 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:

This jira is now fixed.

Posted by Jens Grivolla <j+...@grivolla.net>.
On 05/05/2011 03:04 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> On 5/5/11 2:41 PM, Jens Grivolla wrote:

>>> Here is the jira:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-2137
>>>
>>> Do you think this dialog fixes the problem you reported initially with
>>> the editor annotation mode?
>>
>> Yes, I think that would work quite well for us. One issue with setting
>> the shortcuts based on the full type system is that in our case at
>> hand some of the annotation types we need don't get assigned a shortcut.
>>
> Nice, I will try to fix this quickly for you.

Thanks, that's great.  I think that could be a significant time saver.

>> At least on my system (Eclipse Helios on Ubuntu 10.10) the Shift+Enter
>> shortcut does not work, and will be treated as an unmodified Enter,
>> i.e. no selection list appears. I haven't tried yet on other systems
>> because I need to install the updated plugins first.
>>
> Ok, I will investigate that. But then this was not the system where you
> experienced the hang issue in the 2.3.1 version?

As you said, the freeze was due to the shortcut creation when the type
system is too big, and it ocurred on all machines.

I sometimes have to press return twice to get a "quick annotation", too,
and on a different machine (Eclipse Helios on Windows XP) it worked even
less, to the point that I had to use the context menu.  On that machine

done: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-2138

>>> Do you also need to fill in feature values for each created annotation?
>>
>> Yes, for many of them we do. Which brings me to another thing that
>> would be interesting for us: having preset feature values filled in
>> automatically. We would be using that to automatically fill in the
>> annotator's name on all annotations created by them.
>
> This you can easily do when you pre-process the files you pass to the
> annoator, or post-process when he gives them back.

I've been thinking about that option.  It would be quite easy at the
document level, but becomes a bit more complicated when each annotation
can come from a different annotator and files get passed from one
annotator to the next.

> I believe we should start working here on tooling support for annotation
> projects. There you typically have a collection of
> documents which must be annotated by a team of annotators.

Yes, I think our situation is probably quite typical really.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jens Grivolla <j+...@grivolla.net>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.