Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com> on 2004/02/13 23:31:15 UTC

[ANN]: Xerces 2.6.2 Next Release

Hi all,

I want to let everyone know that we're planning a point release of Xerces
early next week.

Fairly soon after the 2.6.1 release it was discovered that some of the
method signatures in the XML Schema API [1] do not match the signatures in
the implementation.  We plan to fix the API given that implementations in
Xerces-J and Xerces-C++ are already out in the world.  As was mentioned
last week we also plan to deprecate [2] the HTMLSerializer and
XHTMLSerializer as a first step in our effort towards common serialization
code with Xalan.

In addition we've fixed a number of bugs including:
- A bug introduced in 2.6.1 which caused the XMLSerializer to
automatically expand entity references and convert CDATA sections to text.
- Some SAX conformance bugs involving namespace prefixes with namespace
support turned off.
- Several DOM L3 bugs.
- Message localization.

There are a few other issues which need to be addressed.  We're aiming for
February 16th or 17th.

[1]
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=xerces-j-user@xml.apache.org&msgNo=3714
[2]
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org&msgNo=3608

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: [ANN]: Xerces 2.6.2 Next Release

Posted by Neeraj Bajaj <Ne...@Sun.COM>.
I have committed the security fix into the main trunk. My +1.

Neeraj

--
-- Neeraj

Re: [ANN]: Xerces 2.6.2 Next Release

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@apache.org>.
Hello Jeremy,

The seriousness of the defects depend on what you use.

The XML Schema API [1] spec was published fairly recently. We want to
reduce the impact on users of this API by releasing a fix for it now
instead of waiting several months while new developers run into this
problem (especially anyone else who might choose to implement it).

Deprecating the HTML/XHTML serializers now instead of later should give
people time to change their code while we work towards picking up Xalan's
serialization code.

The serializer bug injected into 2.6.1 might have delayed that release had
we learned about it before it went out.

The SAX bugs seem to be giving some users of Castor [2] a headache.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Submission/2004/SUBM-xmlschema-api-20040122/
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/castor-dev%40exolab.org/msg15353.html

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hello Arnaud,

Appearently this was fixed for us last week [1][2], but the descriptor on
the LSD site doesn't seem to have been updated [3]. Covalent [4] and
CocoonDev [5] have no problem building the target. I'll ping the gump
list.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/gump@jakarta.apache.org/msg03438.html
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/gump@jakarta.apache.org/msg03439.html
[3] http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/xml-xerces2/index_details.html
[4] http://gump.covalent.net/log/dist-xerces.html
[5] http://gump.cocoondev.org/dist-xerces.html

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>
02/16/2004 10:24 AM
Please respond to
xerces-j-dev

xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: [ANN]: Xerces 2.6.2 Next Release

+1 conditional to the automatic build being fixed. I'm sick of getting
failure report everyday and nobody looking at it...
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - IBM, On Demand Operating Environment Standards

Re: [ANN]: Xerces 2.6.2 Next Release

Posted by Jeremy Carroll <jj...@hplb.hpl.hp.com>.
I lurk on this list as a member of the Jena RDF developers platform team.
We reship Xerces, which we use as the XML parser for RDF/XML and for
handling XML Schema datatypes. We have just released Jena 2.1 which
included Xerces 2.6.1 ... (The immediatly prior release included a patched
version of Xerces 2.6.0; these patches got into 2.6.1 and we wanted to get
back onside)

Posted by Venu <K....@Sun.COM>.
+1

Michael Glavassevich wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to let everyone know that we're planning a point release of
> Xerces early next week.
>
> Fairly soon after the 2.6.1 release it was discovered that some of the
> method signatures in the XML Schema API [1] do not match the signatures
> in the implementation.  We plan to fix the API given that
> implementations in Xerces-J and Xerces-C++ are already out in the world.
>  As was mentioned last week we also plan to deprecate [2] the
> HTMLSerializer and XHTMLSerializer as a first step in our effort towards
> common serialization code with Xalan.
>
> In addition we've fixed a number of bugs including:
> - A bug introduced in 2.6.1 which caused the XMLSerializer to
> automatically expand entity references and convert CDATA sections to text.
> - Some SAX conformance bugs involving namespace prefixes with namespace
> support turned off.
> - Several DOM L3 bugs.
> - Message localization.
>
> There are a few other issues which need to be addressed.  We're aiming
> for February 16th or 17th.
>
> [1]
> http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=xerces-j-user@xml.apache.org&msgNo=3714
>
> [2]