Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca> on 2004/03/08 00:18:25 UTC

Automatic backups of Tomcat logs in Mandrake??

Does Tomcat (4.1.24) take backups of logs in Mandrake? If yes, how do we stop it from doing so?

Our production server, which uses Linux Mandrake 9.1, is running Tomcat 4.1.24. I was in the logs directory today to look in one of the logs when I noticed that there were an awful lot of files in there - over 3200, in fact! I saw the things I expected to see, catalina.out, various dated localhost_admin_logs, localhost_examples_logs, and localhost_logs and then a huge number of .gz files. It appears that something is taking a weekly backup of every file in the directory and has been doing so for at least 33 weeks, which roughly matches how long we've had Tomcat on that server. (We don't recall exactly when we installed Tomcat.)

The system administrator who installed Tomcat doesn't recall clearly but thinks there might have been an install option that asked whether we'd like to do a weekly backup of the logs; if such an option did come up, he says he very likely would have said yes to it. He *is* sure that he didn't explicitly set up any scripts to backup all of these log files and we aren't aware of any other logs or directories of logs where this is happening. This makes us think it is more likely Tomcat that is doing these backups than Mandrake.

Now that we've got  a bit of experience with Tomcat, we realize we don't need weekly backups of the Tomcat logs and would like to turn this off. Can anyone tell us how this could be done? He and I are both pretty new to Linux in general and Mandrake in particular so we're just not sure how to stop these backups.

Rhino
---
rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
"If you're getting something for nothing, you're not using your own credit card."