Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 1999/10/12 14:30:24 UTC

New CVS module for docco

All right, it looks like there's sufficient support for this
to move forward.  Before I make the CVS modules and move
things around, though, the question arises: should they be
named using "http[d]" or "apache"?  The Apache HTTP Server
project is now just one of those under the Apache Software
Foundation umbrella and supported by the ASF infrastructure
(including the CVS repository machine).

It seems as though

a) the API docs should be considered part of the server
   documentation, and
b) the version-specific documentation should be kept
   separate, and
c) all the documentation should be under one module.

This would lead to a structure something like

 httpd-docs/
   1.3/     (current server docs go here)
     API/   (current apache-devsite/apidoc/ goes here)
   2.0/
     API/

The question I'm asking whether the top level should be named
"httpd-docs" or "apache-docs"?  Given that the name Apache now
means more than just the Web server, I'm in favour of the former.
However, that would put it at odds with the existing module
names (apache-1.3, apache-2.0, et cetera).

Opinions?
--
#ken    P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://ASFD.MeepZor.Com/>

Re: Sv: New CVS module for docco

Posted by Mark J Cox <ma...@awe.com>.
> +1  It took me a month to find dev.apache.org

I just noticed that dev.apache.org ranks 2nd on an Altavista search for
"apache", with Hyperreal's apache-status page taking lead position :)

Mark
Apache Software Foundation ..... OpenSSL Group ..... Apache Week editor

Sv: New CVS module for docco

Posted by Henrik Vendelbo <hv...@bluprints.com>.
+1  It took me a month to find dev.apache.org

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
Yes, this is a larger issue, one well worth discussing.  The HTTP server
project needs some way to distinguish itself other than just "Apache".
"Apache HTTP Server" is fine, and probably most appropriate.  Here are the
ramifications: