Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/04 14:22:33 UTC

[Proposal]: Call for donations

Hi,

in relation to our budget planning I asked myself if OpenOffice has any
impact on the donations to the ASF? Well I don't know and we can
probably figure this out but the question is what can we do ti collect
more donations and use our brand more effective.

When I look on our main website I found a tiny donation link in the
footer only. From my point of view this is not good enough and we should
think how we can improve it.

I can think of a much more prominent and more visible donation link or
whatever to make clear that OpenOffice will still benefit from donations
to the ASF. We have more IT requirements than other ASF projects, we
generate more network traffic, etc. and all this cost money.

Furthermore I can think of a blog post to promote this in some way and
do a public call for donation. We should of course do this more often
with any public announcement.

And opinions or further ideas how we can improve this? It shouldn't be a
big problem for us to collect the money we need.

Juergen

Re: [Proposal]: Call for donations

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

sorry for my top posting but I always fail to quote emails like this correct.

It is no big thing here, the ASF had a pay pal account and people can donate whatever they want. We simply have to encourage people to do it and gave to make clear that donations are made for ASF and not only AOO. Nothing more and nothing less, quite straight forward and transparent to everybody.

@Raphael, I don't have a problem to use our popular brand to collect money for the ASF in general. It' s gone for me if other good open source projects can benefit as well. It simply have to be clear from the beginning.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/4/13 2:46 PM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 14:22:33 +0200
> Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> in relation to our budget planning I asked myself if OpenOffice has any
>> impact on the donations to the ASF? Well I don't know and we can
>> probably figure this out but the question is what can we do ti collect
>> more donations and use our brand more effective.
>>
>> When I look on our main website I found a tiny donation link in the
>> footer only. From my point of view this is not good enough and we should
>> think how we can improve it.
>>
>> I can think of a much more prominent and more visible donation link or
>> whatever to make clear that OpenOffice will still benefit from donations
>> to the ASF. We have more IT requirements than other ASF projects, we
>> generate more network traffic, etc. and all this cost money.
>>
>> Furthermore I can think of a blog post to promote this in some way and
>> do a public call for donation. We should of course do this more often
>> with any public announcement.
>>
>> And opinions or further ideas how we can improve this? It shouldn't be a
>> big problem for us to collect the money we need.
>>
>> Juergen
>>

> While I understand and agree with a call for donations, do I remember that a very early discussion on this list mentioned that donations to Apache could not be project specific, or am I misremembering and that the mentioned restriction was only flaw specific? That is, that one could donate, but could not specify that the donation was to be applied to fix flaw X.

yes that is true but we can explain how AOO benefit from this donations
to ASF. I don't see this really as a big problem. But of course we have
to make this very clear.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: [Proposal]: Call for donations

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 04/04/2013 04:29 PM, schrieb Raphael Bircher:
>
>  Am 04.04.13 14:22, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> in relation to our budget planning I asked myself if OpenOffice has any
>>> impact on the donations to the ASF? Well I don't know and we can
>>> probably figure this out but the question is what can we do ti collect
>>> more donations and use our brand more effective.
>>>
>>> When I look on our main website I found a tiny donation link in the
>>> footer only. From my point of view this is not good enough and we should
>>> think how we can improve it.
>>>
>>> I can think of a much more prominent and more visible donation link or
>>> whatever to make clear that OpenOffice will still benefit from donations
>>> to the ASF. We have more IT requirements than other ASF projects, we
>>> generate more network traffic, etc. and all this cost money.
>>>
>>> Furthermore I can think of a blog post to promote this in some way and
>>> do a public call for donation. We should of course do this more often
>>> with any public announcement.
>>>
>>> And opinions or further ideas how we can improve this? It shouldn't be a
>>> big problem for us to collect the money we need.
>>>
>> I disagree. Yes, we can help with foundings for ASF, but please do this
>> on ASF Level. Founding money is not the task of a ASF project, It's the
>> task for the foundation. It would be nice, if sameone from our project
>> work with the foundrising team from ASF. I personaly would also welcome
>> if the fundrising team use OOo to generate monay. But for my point of
>> view it's not a topic we (as Apache OpenOffice) project has to care about.
>>
>> So do this on Foundation level and not here. With other words: "Nice
>> idea, wrong place." Just my option.
>>

> Of course it's not our task to do/handle/manage the donations for the ASF.
> But how I understood Juergen's proposal this is not the case here.
>
> But we are profiting of these donations. So, I don't see any problems to
> support to increase them and to ask our users/contributors/friends to give
> some dollars/euros/... to the ASF.
>
> It's just a question of "what can we do to *help* the ASF as long as it's
> not a full time job".

That's a good way to think of it.  We" (AOO) don't run ApacheCon either,
but when registration gets close we're happy to send a note to our users
list and even put a button on our website to help drive greater
attendance.  If there is a fundraising drive I'm sure we can find a way to
help in similar way.

-Rob

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/5/13 4:22 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> We can easily copy the "Donate" button from the footer to the topnav.
>>

> The pages are already so busy that making anything stand out is rather
> difficult.
>
> I'll give you an example.  We (Samer and I) did an experiment with
> different placements of the social sharing links.  So we weren't asking for
> money or anything like that.  We were just asking users to friend us on
> Facebook.
>
> We tracked the response rate over a two week period.
>
> For placement up on the navbar or to the right of search, the response rate
> was 0.04%.
>
> For further down on the page, in its own section (how we have it now) the
> response rate was 0.19%.
>
> The best rate was right front and center, above the announcement with
> graphics.  That had 0.34% response rate.  Though that was the best, we
> opted not to go with it since it was not really appropriate for permanent
> use, though it might work OK for a temporary campaign.
>
> (We also did some variations that were text-only, but the versions with
> graphics did better each time)
>
> So with 0.34% response rate on click through, we'd get maybe 2500
> clicks/day. Not sure what % of those would actually contribute, but even at
> 1% that adds up over a while.

Well I would prefer a better and more prominent place on the page in
general but I trust your experiment with Samer and the facebook link. If
we don't find a really good place we can of course repeat this
periodically. I don't know every 3 month or at least combined with new
releases.

But we should definitely prepare a blog post that 40 million downloads
and the related traffic are not for free, the forum and wiki is not for
free etc. Simply presenting the facts and describe how donation will
help to run all this. We have good partners like sourceforge but any
single individual can help as well. PayPal can handle many small donations.

But yes we have to align this with fundrasing to ensure that we do it
correct and in a way that they can handle it.

> Another entirely unrelated approach would be to have an Amazon Affiliate
> account for the ASF and then have a listing of books related to Apache
> projects.  The ASF would then get a % of each referred sale. That could be
> huge, especially with the Hadoop family of projects.

interesting idea, who would be able to work on something like this. I
assume fundraising, you should share the idea with them

Juergen

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/5/13 12:38 AM, Joseph Schaefer wrote:
> FWIW last time I checked there was a huge increase
> in paypal donations once OpenOffice adjusted it's
> contribution page accordingly.

that is what I have expected of course. I know the numbers of the past
;-) But we can do better and can benefit all from more.

Juergen

Posted by Joseph Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.
Am 04.04.13 14:22, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
> Hi,
>
> in relation to our budget planning I asked myself if OpenOffice has any
> impact on the donations to the ASF? Well I don't know and we can
> probably figure this out but the question is what can we do ti collect
> more donations and use our brand more effective.
>
> When I look on our main website I found a tiny donation link in the
> footer only. From my point of view this is not good enough and we should
> think how we can improve it.
>
> I can think of a much more prominent and more visible donation link or
> whatever to make clear that OpenOffice will still benefit from donations
> to the ASF. We have more IT requirements than other ASF projects, we
> generate more network traffic, etc. and all this cost money.
>
> Furthermore I can think of a blog post to promote this in some way and
> do a public call for donation. We should of course do this more often
> with any public announcement.
>
> And opinions or further ideas how we can improve this? It shouldn't be a
> big problem for us to collect the money we need.
I disagree. Yes, we can help with foundings for ASF, but please do this
on ASF Level. Founding money is not the task of a ASF project, It's the
task for the foundation. It would be nice, if sameone from our project
work with the foundrising team from ASF. I personaly would also welcome
if the fundrising team use OOo to generate monay. But for my point of
view it's not a topic we (as Apache OpenOffice) project has to care about.

So do this on Foundation level and not here. With other words: "Nice
idea, wrong place."  Just my option.

Greetings Raphael