Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Silver Zachara <si...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/30 10:45:34 UTC

Subversion 1.5.5 why isn't compiled

Hi,

1.5.5 is out few days, but in
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=8100
aren't compiled any modules. Why ?

The faster is http://www.sliksvn.com/en/download, there are everytime
compiled new versions fastest. But this exe don't have apache modules.

Why tigiris doesn't compile new versions when are out and we must
waiting many days. TortoiseSVN is out few hours after new SVN is out,
but in the Tigris downlaod section are everytime old versions.

You should create some automate script, which compile new version when
is tagged as stable.

So I'm opening voting for this automate scripts.

vote +1 for that

Re: Subversion 1.5.5 why isn't compiled

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 02:14:02AM -0700, Ed wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 6:21 AM, Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:
> > For example, I voluntarily spent a few hours first testing the 1.5.5
> > release on OpenBSD, and then making an update for the OpenBSD binary
> > package available. So you can install OpenBSD (-current) and install
> > Subversion 1.5.5 there already, no problem.
> >

> I and my friend Puffy thank you very much for the New Years gift, it
> is greatly appreciated.

You're welcome!

In fact, when I wrote this there were no binary packages available yet.
But I just checked, there are packages from a bulk-build from 3rd of Jan
being copied out to OpenBSD ftp mirrors right now.
The 1.5.5 packages are in there.

Stefan

Re: Subversion 1.5.5 why isn't compiled

Posted by Ed <SV...@0x1b.com>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 11:45:34AM +0100, Silver Zachara wrote:

> 1.5.5 is out few days, but in
> http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=8100
> aren't compiled any modules. Why ?

Because, (quoting
http://subversion.tigris.org/getting.html#binary-packages):

 The Subversion project does not officially endorse or maintain any
 binary packages of the Subversion software. However, volunteers have
 created binary packages for different distributions and platforms, and
 as a convenience, we maintain a list of links to them here.

Note the word "volunteers".

For example, I voluntarily spent a few hours first testing the 1.5.5
release on OpenBSD, and then making an update for the OpenBSD binary
package available. So you can install OpenBSD (-current) and install
Subversion 1.5.5 there already, no problem.

Other people take care of other platforms, but no one is forced
to work at a faster speed than they feel comfortable at.

> The faster is http://www.sliksvn.com/en/download, there are everytime
> compiled new versions fastest. But this exe don't have apache modules.
>
> Why tigiris doesn't compile new versions when are out and we must
> waiting many days. TortoiseSVN is out few hours after new SVN is out,
> but in the Tigris downlaod section are everytime old versions.

"tigris" is not a person.

There are volunteers who build binaries, but they might have more
important stuff to do during the Christmas/New Year's season.

Note that anyone can volunteer to do this. There is nothing restricting
anyone from joining the circle of people maintaining binary builds of
Subversion.

> You should create some automate script, which compile new version when
> is tagged as stable.
>
> So I'm opening voting for this automate scripts.
>
> vote +1 for that

It certainly does not harm to express such wishes, but the best
way to make them come true is to put in the effort.

Stefan