Posted to users@maven.apache.org by monkeyden <mo...@monkeyden.com> on 2009/12/01 20:13:49 UTC

Re: File system repo

Hi Wayne.  I have my build working fine, it's just not including the system
scoped jars in my war's WEB-INF/lib directory.  It seems the system scope
does not include them.  Any idea how I can get them into the resulting
artifact?

Thanks, as always

Re: File system repo

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
Either deploy this file in the "third-party" part of your maven repository
manager, or just install it locally. (using deploy:deploy-file or
install:install-file, or directly through the mrm artifact upload gui).
Btw, the best choice is the first one : set up a mrm and deploy the jar you
need.

Cheers

2009/12/1 monkeyden <mo...@monkeyden.com>

> So I guess the question is, how then can you get a jar file, which is not
> installed in any repository, onto the compile classpath then into your
> ear/war file?
>

> Wayne Fay wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Wayne.  I have my build working fine, it's just not including the
> >> system
> >> scoped jars in my war's WEB-INF/lib directory.  It seems the system
> scope
> >> does not include them.  Any idea how I can get them into the resulting
> >> artifact?
> >
> > This is exactly how system scope is supposed to work -- it means "this
> > artifact will be provided by the system" therefore Maven does not
> > include them in packages it builds.
> >
> > Add the artifacts to your corporate repo/local repo cache, and change
> > scope to "compile" if you need them included.
> >
> > As I've said before in this thread, do NOT use system scope.
> >
> > Wayne

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: File system repo

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> So I guess the question is, how then can you get a jar file, which is not
> installed in any repository, onto the compile classpath then into your
> ear/war file?

You can't, at least, I don't know how to do it.

Your original post said that you'd "prefer" not to install them into
your repo. Maven is opinionated software -- your preferences are not
the top priority. Maven expects (requires) artifacts be in its repo
for builds to work. You will be a lot happier with Maven over time if
you just stop fighting things and do it the right (Maven) way from the
beginning.

Use "mvn install" or "mvn deploy" and put the file in a
local/corporate repo during the build process for that artifact. Just
because you can't CONVERT a given project to Maven, does not mean that
you cannot install/deploy the resulting build artifact when it is
built. Add "mvn deploy" as a post-build step in your CI server.

Wayne

Re: File system repo

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
Seems as we keep on repeating this best-practice. Still people try to prove
us wrong...

/Anders

Re: File system repo

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.