Posted to user@hive.apache.org by John Sichi <js...@facebook.com> on 2010/04/21 20:24:30 UTC

future of CLI

Hey, if you ever get frustrated by Hive's CLI, take a look at the sqlline integration I attached here and weigh in:

sqlline as is may not be exactly what we want (it doesn't have the full mysql client feel many people may be used to), but it's a good starting point, and the BSD code can be adapted as needed.  If anyone wants to take over on this and really own it, it would be a great project for giving a Hive a very user-visible and beneficial facelift.  If not, I'll probably at least check in the bare minimum just to scratch my own itch, unless there's opposition.

Thanks,
JVS

RE: future of CLI

Posted by John Sichi <js...@facebook.com>.
Looks like it is working for JDBC.

0: jdbc:hive://localhost:10000/default> foo bar baz;
Error: Query returned non-zero code: 11, cause: FAILED: Parse Error: line 1:0 cannot recognize input 'foo' (state=42000,code=11)

JVS
Posted by Ning Zhang <nz...@facebook.com>.

Re: future of CLI

Posted by John Sichi <js...@facebook.com>.
Oops, I made a mistake when I was testing the JDBC embedded mode.  It actually works fine already, so we're good on that.

JVS

RE: future of CLI

Re: future of CLI

Posted by Ning Zhang <nz...@facebook.com>.