Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "K. Rumman Akhter" <ka...@sputnik7.com> on 2000/03/06 20:42:44 UTC

RE: yet another xsp question...

this may be not the most appropriate place to post this, but has anyone used
an xsp'ed front end to allow the client to upload files (plain text)? i need
a way to save a user supplied text file in the server (all my users are
authenticated in advance so security is not an issue, plus, i am behind a
firewall)...any hints/directions would be helpful...
thanks,

RUm

Re: Servlet engine

Posted by Russell Castagnaro <ru...@synctank.com>.
Ulrich,
I'm using it for several reasons:

   * It is much faster than any other pure java servlet engines out there.
   * The support staff pay special attention to trouble issues and special
     requests.
   * Its relatively inexpensive when compared to Jrun and new atlanta, etc...
   * It is clusterable.
   * It has 'plug ins' for Netscape, IIS and Apache
   * It is very small, which to me means good code.

On the negative side:

   * If you want to use SSL you have to use iserver as a plugin to another
     webserver, since it doesn't have built in support. (Of course I don't
     recommend anyone using software based ssl anymore)

I use/recommend  BEA Weblogic for Enterprise level services and Iserver for web
services.  In some cases I've recommended Iserver as a cluster controller for a
weblogic cluster too.
You are already on the right track since you are looking at Cocoon too.
-rrc
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Russell Castagnaro wrote:
> >
> > Iserver is great for this too.
> > http://www.servertec.com
>
> Hi Russell,
>
> I hope that I am not intruding and that you have a minute or so for my
> question.
>
> We are currently looking for a servlet runner with extreme performance
> and stability to replace JServ, so I looked at iServer and it doesn't
> sound too bad. What are, in your mind, the strong points of iServer? Why
> are you using it? Are there other products I should look at?
>
> thanks in advance for any pointers,
>
> Ulrich
>
> --
> Ulrich Mayring
> DENIC eG, Softwareentwicklung

Russell Castagnaro
Chief Mentor
SyncTank Solutions
http://www.synctank.com

Earth is the cradle of mankind; one does not remain in the cradle forever
-Tsiolkovsky

Re: Servlet engine

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

RE: Servlet engine

Posted by JJD <jj...@home.com>.
After looking over both suggestions from Russell Castagnaro, and John Ky I
realized I need to go even further back. Instructions for loading the
servlet recommend installing Apache server. I also need JSDK 2.0, etc.. I
have a long ways to go, but I'll get it all. Thank again for the assistance
JJD

Posted by Russell Castagnaro <ru...@synctank.com>.

Re: Servlet engine

Posted by John Ky <ne...@yahoo.com>.

http://im.yahoo.com

Servlet engine

Posted by JJD <jj...@home.com>.
Hi: Where would I get the "Servlet Engine A Servlet 2.x compliant servlet
engine" that is required prior to loading Cocoon? Thanks JJD