Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Bainbridge <ja...@jblinux.org> on 2003/05/13 00:50:08 UTC

[OT] Piping STDIN/STDOUT from/to win32 exe

I'm hoping one of you guru's out there can give me a few pointers for the
following. :)

What I want to do is have a java servlet or jsp that calls an executable, then
pipes a string to it through STDIN (?) and then retrieve the result from
STDOUT(?), continuing to do this for each word in a String and then close the
executable. I'm guessing that maybe this can be done through JNDI but I have
no idea where to start, I'm by no means a java guru but if anyone could tell
me where to start looking it would be much appreciated.

What I want to do specifically is call a function passing it the contents of a
TEXTAREA or INPUT control from a html form, open aspell, then iterate through
the string, passing each value to the running aspell, then grabbing the
result and close aspell. I was trying to use a perl script that I found that
was written for *nix that did exactly what I want but after a few hours of
hacking and googling I discovered the perl function used to launch the
process just wasn't compatible with Win32 plus I wanted to do it in Java
anyway.

Has anyone tackled anything like this? I think it has a lot of potential,
there are a few commercial packages out there but they cost a lot.

Cheers,
--
Jason Bainbridge
KDE Web Team - http://kde.org