Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Eduardo José Hernández Cisneros <ej...@hotmail.com> on 2004/10/27 02:37:03 UTC

Connection pooling question

Hi everybody,

    One friend developed an in-house “connection pooling”, the main idea of
this component is to open one single database connection. The users request
for a statements or prepared statements instead of connections. My friend
calls his component “connection pooling” and probably it is not a connection
pooling at all. I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of
this component in a multithreading application, for example a web
application. I am a DBCP and Pool user and to be honest I like them.

Thanks in advance.

--Eduardo

Re: Connection pooling question

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
This "pool" absolutely prevents you from writing any sort of multi step
transaction.  Multiple threads will be corrupting the transaction state by
using the same connection at the same time.  My advice: use a proper
DataSource implementation that actually pools connections.

David