Posted to dev@olingo.apache.org by Kevin Ratnasekera <dj...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/17 18:50:06 UTC

GSoC 2015 Introduction

Hi all,
I am Kevin Ratnasekera, final year Computer Science Engineering
Undergraduate from University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I successfully
completed and participated in GSoC 2014. I also have open source industrial
experience with WSO2 ( an open source middleware company ) where I acquired
knowledge in the areas of SOA and Web services, technologies such as REST,
SOAP, XML, JSON etc. I am interested in participating GSoC this year with
Apache Olingo. I went through the Apache gsoc ideas list, found this
"Implement OData Json Metadocument Serializer/Parser" project really
interesting. Even though I got some background knowledge, I am new to OData
and Olingo. I really appreciate, if a mentor could provide me some guidance
to get things started and areas which I need to gather knowledge and
improve.
Regards
Kevin

.

RE: GSoC 2015 Introduction

Posted by "Amend, Christian" <ch...@sap.com>.
Hi Kevin,

sorry for my late reply. You did a lot of research ☺ As you correctly understood the main topic is to transform the EDM into a json document. You do not have to define the format on your own. There is already a specification draft here: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=54598&wg_abbrev=odata
This draft outlines how the json document should look like. Unfortunately this draft is not part of the latest released specification and thus is subject to change during the next months.

When I said there is lots to be done for the json fomat I meant our serialization in general. For example there are 3 different ways in Json to expose an entity as a json document(see here http://docs.oasis-open.org/odata/odata-json-format/v4.0/errata02/os/odata-json-format-v4.0-errata02-os-complete.html#_Toc403940604). All 3 versions differ in the amount of additional metadata information within the payload. These 3 are:
- odata.metadata=none (no metadata mixed with entity data)
- odata.metadata=minimal(a subset of metadata information with the entity data)
- odata.metadata=full(full metadata information with the entity data)
We have currently implemented the odata.metadata=minimal. So the other 2 formats are still missing. This is something you could work on as well if you like.

So for tasks I would suggest this:

1.       Understand the current draft of the json metadata document

2.       Take a draft version once the GSoC officially begins and start implementing based on that draft version

Stretch goals could be:

1.       Support odata.metadata=none for entities

2.       Support odata.metadata=full for entities

Anyway you should not invest too much time for now until Apache is accepted and the Olingo project gets granted a seat. For now it is enough if you get the concept of this and understand the tasks.

Best Regards,
Christian

Posted by Kevin Ratnasekera <dj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian,