Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by torechia <to...@attbi.com> on 2003/05/06 13:53:26 UTC

How to get Tomcat examples to run in Eclipse debuger?

I am a new user of tomcat and eclipse and  have just installed Eclipse and the sysdeo tomcat plugin.  I have tomcat working inside eclipse.   I can successfully start tomcat in the debugger and then run my programs and  examples outside the debugger environment and get the examples to work properly.   What do I need to do to get the tomcat examples to compile and run in the debugger so that I can set breakpoints?  I am interested in getting the simple hello1 example that is supplied with tomcat to work inside eclipse so that I can debug the servlet.  Can anyone point me to some documentation on how to get started?  Do I need to create a new project?  Are tomcat servlets also plugins?

I am starting a completely new project from scratch using the java servlet technology under tomcat.  Is it recommended to do my whole  project in eclipse - create,edit , compile and run in the debugger.  Or it is recommended to build outside the eclipse environment and just use eclipse for debugging?

The tutorial does not cover any tomcat specific information and the sysdeo web site only gives documentation about how to install the tomcat plugin.  Where can I find additional documentation about how to get started?

Thanks in advance,
Terry Orechia