Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Lesley Kimmel <lj...@hotmail.com> on 2015/03/27 20:21:14 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.4 Compile Questions

All;

I am generally responsible for compiling Apache at my job but looking ahead to Apache 2.4 I am running into a couple of issues/questions:

a) PCRE is now required separately. I don't find much information about compiling PCRE, specifically for Apache. Are there any necessary configure options that should be used when compiling PCRE?
b) The OpenSSL compilation instructions say to use CFLAGS="-fPIC" environment variable to enable shared objects. Does anyone know if not doing this will affect the function or performance of a self-contained Apache build? By self-contained I mean that every piece of the Apache build is being configured with --prefix=/some/apache/directory (generically).

Thanks,

-Les K.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.4 Compile Questions

Posted by Andy Wang <aw...@ptc.com>.
On 03/27/2015 02:21 PM, Lesley Kimmel wrote:
> All;
>
> I am generally responsible for compiling Apache at my job but looking
> ahead to Apache 2.4 I am running into a couple of issues/questions:
>
> a) PCRE is now required separately. I don't find much information about
> compiling PCRE, specifically for Apache. Are there any necessary
> configure options that should be used when compiling PCRE?
> b) The OpenSSL compilation instructions say to use CFLAGS="-fPIC"
> environment variable to enable shared objects. Does anyone know if not
> doing this will affect the function or performance of a self-contained
> Apache build? By self-contained I mean that every piece of the Apache
> build is being configured with --prefix=/some/apache/directory
> (generically).
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Les K.

I use the following options for PCRE:
--enable-utf --disable-cpp --disable-shared
Since my apache is selfcontained and built using a build script i didn't
see any reason to make pcre shared.  --disable-cpp is because apache
isn't c++ so no need for cpp support.  enable-utf is probably not
necessary since most of the regex stuff in apache is on urls which
should be escaped but i figured why not.

-fPIC is not necessary for openssl, at least on Linux.  the shared
Configure option takes care of that for you.

Andy

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.4 Compile Questions

Posted by Lesley Kimmel <lj...@hotmail.com>.
Surely they would. I guess I neglected to mention that we typically build a
self-contained installation which is pretty much transportable between
systems without having to install the prerequisite packages.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

--
Nick Kew