Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> on 2019/06/11 13:30:21 UTC

[DISCUSS] Deprecate previous Python APIs

Hi all!

I would suggest to deprecating the existing python APIs for DataSet and
DataStream API with the 1.9 release.

Background is that there is a new Python API under development.
The new Python API is initially against the Table API. Flink 1.9 will
support Table API programs without UDFs, 1.10 is planned to support UDFs.
Future versions would support also the DataStream API.

In the long term, Flink should have one Python API for DataStream and Table
APIs. We should not maintain multiple different implementations and confuse
users that way.
Given that the existing Python APIs are a bit limited and not under active
development, I would suggest to deprecate them in favor of the new API.

Best,
Stephan

Re: [DISCUSS] Deprecate previous Python APIs

Posted by jincheng sun <su...@gmail.com>.
+1 for removing and we can try our best to enrich the new Python API.

Cheers,
Jincheng

Yu Li <li...@apache.org> 于2019年6月14日周五 下午6:42写道:

Posted by jincheng sun <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yu Li <li...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yu Li <li...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
I have created a JIRA
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-12903> and PR
<https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/8803> for removing the Python APIs.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
I have created a JIRA

Posted by vino yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
+1 from my side

Best,
Vino

Terry Wang <zj...@gmail.com> 于2019年6月12日周三 下午5:45写道:

Posted by vino yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
+1 from my side

Posted by Terry Wang <zj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Terry Wang <zj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
+1 for deprecation.

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
+1 for deprecation.

Posted by Hequn Cheng <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 on the proposal!

Posted by Hequn Cheng <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 on the proposal!

Posted by Jark Wu <im...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jark Wu <im...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Becket Qin <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Becket Qin <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dian Fu <di...@gmail.com>.
+1 for this proposal.

Posted by Dian Fu <di...@gmail.com>.
+1 for this proposal.

Posted by jincheng sun <su...@gmail.com>.
big +1 for the proposal.

Posted by jincheng sun <su...@gmail.com>.
big +1 for the proposal.

Posted by Zili Chen <wa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Zili Chen <wa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by zhijiang <wa...@aliyun.com>.
It is reasonable as stephan explained. +1 from my side!
From:Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>
Send Time:2019年6月11日(星期二) 22:11
To:Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>
Cc:user <us...@flink.apache.org>; dev <de...@flink.apache.org>
Subject:Re: [DISCUSS] Deprecate previous Python APIs

--
Best Regards

Jeff Zhang

Re: [DISCUSS] Deprecate previous Python APIs

Posted by zhijiang <wa...@aliyun.com.INVALID>.
It is reasonable as stephan explained. +1 from my side!
From:Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>
Send Time:2019年6月11日(星期二) 22:11
To:Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>
Cc:user <us...@flink.apache.org>; dev <de...@flink.apache.org>

--
Best Regards

Jeff Zhang

Re: [DISCUSS] Deprecate previous Python APIs

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Best Regards

Jeff Zhang

Re: [DISCUSS] Deprecate previous Python APIs

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Best Regards