Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Merv Green <Pa...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/06 07:09:30 UTC

Corporate pom naming conventions

This post,
http://www.sonatype.com/people/2008/05/misused-maven-terms-defined/ ,
points out that, like the Highlander, there can be only one Super pom.

But "corporate pom" and "organizational pom" are just too hard to say.

Choosing an extensible name seems handy; you could declare, for
instance, if you were mayor of Whoville, that all your developers
inherit from who-mother. If half your developers like the language Ham,
and the other half prefer Green Eggs, the Green Eggs guys could inherit
from green-eggs-mother, while the Ham people could inherit from
mother-ham, both of which inherit from who-mother.

Other possibilities:

    Root pom
    Top pom
    Master pom
    Team pom
    One pom to rule them all
    Org pom
    Object pom
    Grand pom
    Base pom
    Corp (Core?) (Corps?) pom

So, what should I call my corporate pom?

Re: Corporate pom naming conventions

Posted by Blake Martin <bl...@gmail.com>.
We call ours the "standards" POM, as that's what's in there; it contains our
standard plugin executions and default versions/scopes of certain artifacts
(such as jsp-api) which are managed by the container.

Posted by "Edelson, Justin" <Ju...@mtvstaff.com>.
FWIW, I use the term "master pom". We have multiple of these, so sometimes discussions of these sounds a bit like a Jedi council what with "Master Java" and "Master Flex" and "Master Maven Plugin".

I've tried to use "organizational pom" in conversation, but, as you indicate, it doesn't quite roll off the tongue.

Justin