Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2002/02/20 23:47:46 UTC

Weird problem with JDK 1.4 on win32

I just compiled the fresh CVS and I got a bunch of compilation errors
such as

class org.apache.cocoon.components.language.markup.xsp.EsqlConnection
must
be declared abstract. It does not define void setHoldability(int) from
interface java.sql.Connection.
    [javac] public class EsqlConnection implements Connection {
    [javac]              ^

and so on.

The ant task should be turning that code into comments if JDBC3 is not
found.

Now, if you install JDK 1.4 on windows, it copies java.exe and javaw.exe
in your %WINDOWS_SYSTEM% directory (c:\winnt\system32 on my machine).

But i wanted to use JDK 1.3.1 to compile Cocoon so I updated my profile
to have the JAVA_HOME and PATH set up correctly.

The problem seems to be that Ant calls System.run() and the JDK 1.4
java.exe is picked up, no matter what PATH definition you have.

So, the JVM that runs ant is JDK 1.3, but the one used to check
availability of JDBC3 is JDK 1.4, thus the problem.

Deleting java.exe and javaw.exe from /winnt/system32 resolved the
problem.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Weird problem with JDK 1.4 on win32

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I just compiled the fresh CVS and I got a bunch of compilation errors
> such as
>
> class org.apache.cocoon.components.language.markup.xsp.EsqlConnection
> must
> be declared abstract. It does not define void setHoldability(int) from
> interface java.sql.Connection.
>     [javac] public class EsqlConnection implements Connection {
>     [javac]              ^
>
> and so on.
>
> The ant task should be turning that code into comments if JDBC3 is not
> found.
>
> Now, if you install JDK 1.4 on windows, it copies java.exe and javaw.exe
> in your %WINDOWS_SYSTEM% directory (c:\winnt\system32 on my machine).
>
> But i wanted to use JDK 1.3.1 to compile Cocoon so I updated my profile
> to have the JAVA_HOME and PATH set up correctly.
>
> The problem seems to be that Ant calls System.run() and the JDK 1.4
> java.exe is picked up, no matter what PATH definition you have.
>
> So, the JVM that runs ant is JDK 1.3, but the one used to check
> availability of JDBC3 is JDK 1.4, thus the problem.
>
> Deleting java.exe and javaw.exe from /winnt/system32 resolved the
> problem.

Aaahhhhh.... great you resolved this. There were a couple of posts on
cocoon-users about this
--
Torsten

RE: Weird problem with JDK 1.4 on win32

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Stefano,

Could you try build.bat from the CVS? Now, if JAVA_HOME is present, it
will take precedence over Java in system path.

Vadim

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.