Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Shyama Gavulla <sh...@coe.neu.edu> on 2003/06/13 17:28:34 UTC

(SLIGHTOFFTOPIC)SSL configuration for apache and tomcat

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone here who responded to my emails immediatly and helped me in
moving my from Jrun to Tomcat. The transition was smooth and now my web app
runs perfectly on tomcat and apache2.0.46. I have some other things to move
from Jrun to tomcat and apache.

First one is SSL

I didnt find the mod_ssl.so in the modules directory of apache . Where can I
download them and how can I configure it?

Second scheduler for tomcat:

I have a thread which has to run every day. How can I do it in tomcat ?

It would be grateful if someone can tell me some documentation about these
things . and once aain THANKS A LOT.

Thanks in advance,
shyam

RE: (SLIGHTOFFTOPIC)SSL configuration for apache and tomcat

Posted by Filip Hanik <ma...@filip.net>.
one way of doing it is

Step 1 - Install OpenSSL 0.9.6g
-------------------------------
a) Copy the file <SOFTWARE_DIR>/software/apache-ssl/openssl-0.9.6g.tar.gz to
/tmp
b) Extract the file using the tar command
-  "cd /tmp"
-  "tar zxvf openssl-0.9.6g.tar.gz"
c) Configure the software (make sure to substitute the <OPEN_SSL_DIR>
variable)
-  "cd openssl-0.9.6g"
-  "./config --prefix=<OPEN_SSL_DIR>
d) Build the open ssl software
-  "make"
-  "make test"
-  "make install"

Step 2 - Install Apache 2.0.43
------------------------------
a) Copy the file <SOFTWARE_DIR>/software/apache-ssl/httpd-2.0.43.tar.gz to
/tmp
b) Extract the file using the tar command
-  "cd /tmp"
-  "tar zxvf httpd-2.0.43.tar.gz"
c) Configure the software (make sure to substitute the <APACHE_INST_DIR> and
<OPEN_SSL_DIR> variables)
-  "cd httpd-2.0.43"
-

"./configure --prefix=<APACHE_INST_DIR> --with-ssl=<OPEN_SSL_DIR> --enable-s
sl=static --enable-mods-shared=all --with-mpm=worker --enable-proxy=shared"

d) Build the Apache server
-  "make"
-  "make install"

e) Copy the ssl test certificates into the conf directory (make sure to
substitute the <APACHE_INST_DIR> and <OPEN_SSL_DIR> variables)
-  "cp -R <SOFTWARE_DIR>/software/apache-ssl/ssl-test-certificates/ssl.*
<APACHE_INST_DIR>/conf/"

f) Start the server (make sure to substitute the <APACHE_INST_DIR> and
<OPEN_SSL_DIR> variables)
-  "<APACHE_INST_DIR>/bin/apachectl startssl"

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.