Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@valueclick.com> on 2002/02/02 03:05:55 UTC

Re: Thumbnail generator

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Robert Landrum wrote:

[...]
> >You may want to take a look at Apache::ImageMagick (if you not already
> >have). It's let's you create thumbnails very easy (just two parameters
> >pic.xxx/scale?geometry=100x100) and ImageMagick supports over 80 different
> >formats. It also handles conversion from 4 color pictures to RGB for your
> >thumbnails and many other things, if you need them.
>
> ImageMagick is way too slow for use in a production system.
> Especially if your resizing large images into thumbnails.  I suggest
> sacrificing space for speed and pre-generating all your thumbnails.

I do that too (with Image::Magick).  If the pictures are large it
takes forever to scale them even with a more efficient lib.

> Most of the time libjpeg will do everything you need, including
> scaling.  I suggestion GD with Jpeg support or Inline.pm/C/libjpeg
> for real time conversion of jpegs.

libjpeg doesn't (afaik) do sharpening/unsharp mask and the two
billion other things that are nice to have if you are trying to get
a high quality output.

http://photo.netcetera.dk/g/snow|2002/01/01/DSC_0126.jpg;size=me

:-)

 - ask