Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Etienne <et...@gnulinux.fr> on 2009/08/26 16:48:41 UTC

[users@httpd] creating a proxy

hi all,

I would like to enable a proxy on my server with port forwarding.
The idea is to connect to my server through putty with ssh tunnel forwarding
localhost:80 to myproxyserver.com:80
I have enabled proxy module with a2enmod proxy command and setup a
virtualhost
my virtualhost (/etc/apache2/sites-available/myproxyserver) has been enabled
and is as follow

NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
        ServerName myproxyserver.com
        ProxyRequests On
        ProxyVia On

        <Proxy *>
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from localhost

        </Proxy>
</VirtualHost>

when I set up proxy to 127.0.0.1 on firefox and try to access to a web site,
I get the following

Forbidden

how can I fix that ?

thanks

etienne

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
At 11:28 AM 8/26/2009, you wrote:
>unsubscribe

As the headers to every message say:

Posted by Josh Gooding <jo...@gmail.com>.
unsubscribe

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
At 11:25 AM 8/26/2009, you wrote:
>unsubscribe

As the headers say:

Posted by Michael Johnson <mc...@hotmail.com>.
unsubscribe

Re: [users@httpd] creating a proxy

Posted by Etienne <et...@gnulinux.fr>.
hi andre

sorry for this late reply.
Your analysis is not correct. I am not trying to bypass a corporate
proxy . I work independently and I have no restriction to my web
access either at work or at home.

In fact I had the opposite problem to solve during my vacations:
trying to access my server from an hotel with a web based SSH gateway
but this is another story.

During my search, I found the following article and I tried to improve
my understanding of apache by reproducing what is described in it.
(http://www.math.polytechnique.fr/spip.php?rubrique78)

Apparently the laboratory subscribed to on-line periodicals which use
IP address to grant access to their customers.
To provide remote access to their employees, the laboratory uses SSH +
proxy : the laboratory IP address is provided to the periodical's
server.

I am not sure however that the laboratory was using apache for that
and I did not succeed to do it myself.

I obtained the same result by setting up a SOCKS proxy as described in
the following article
http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/12/08/ssh-tunnel-socks-proxy-forwarding-secure-browsing/

It has nothing to do with apache but it is quite useful to secure
browsing from a public hotspot.

thanks

etienne

Posted by Etienne <et...@gnulinux.fr>.
yes, I want to do that. However my client is a windows XP machine. thus I
have to use putty

apparently this port forwarding is working well

I have a silly question : how can I configure apache to work as a proxy
without cancelling my current web hosting ?

I am only using virtual hosts for hosting and not sure to understand what is
the other way of doing ;-)

thanks

etienne

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.