Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/27 11:09:13 UTC

Impossible to build ourproject from scratch

Hi all,

it's actually impossible to build Apache Directory Server project just
after a svn co, with a clean maven repo (like a new user will do), for
some (unknown) reason, maven is looking for a missing plugin, which will
always miss, because this plugin is generated later :) (kind of
chicken/egg pb, isn't it ;)

This is sad, because to be able to build the project, a new user must go
through a tough path (like building MINA, then shared, then
apacheds/sar-plugin, then apacheds ...)

Is somebody can figure out why maven tries to download this missing
plugin *before* doing anything else, even if modules are described in an
order which has been selected to avoid such a burden ?

Any help wecome !!!

Emmanuel

PS : for those who want to experiment such a problem, it's easy : just
svn co
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/branches/apacheds/1.0-trunks/
and type mvn install after having removed ~/.m2/repository

Re: Impossible to build ourproject from scratch

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
On 10/27/06, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ersin Er a écrit :
>
> > I do not have the env to build the project now but in my experience to
> > be safe you should do:
> >
> > * non-recursive build the root
> > * build MINA
> > * build shared
> > * build the sar-plugin of ADS
> > * build root
> >
> > :-)
> >
> Yeah, this is what I do, but, trust me, a newcommer won't be able to
> find out by himself this sequence ;)
>
> btw, what is a non-recursive build ?

mvn -non-recursive install

So that the root (build) pom will be installed in the local repo. So
you can build/install other subprojects of the root, like shared or
mina..

(Note: "mvn -N install" also works.)

I spent my years to discover these anomalies.. :-P

--
Ersin

Re: Impossible to build ourproject from scratch

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edwin Punzalan <ep...@exist.com>.
Hmm... I think this can be fixed by providing those artifacts in a
snapshot repository so maven can download them.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 10/27/06, Max Cooper <ma...@maxcooper.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to do this? It seems like this would be somewhat
> common, since many projects may need to build one or more special
> plugins to support the rest of their builds.

More than one project has a separate 'maven' module that contains
things like a project-level 'master' pom, and plugins, that have to be
released in advance of a "project" release.

--
Wendy

Re: Impossible to build ourproject from scratch

Posted by Max Cooper <ma...@maxcooper.com>.
I don't have an answer for you, but our project has the same problem.
You have to 'mvn install' a plugin that is part of our project tree
before you can build from the top of the project.

We tried adding a dependency on the plugin module, in hopes that it
would cause maven to build the plugin first, but it didn't work.

Does anyone know how to do this? It seems like this would be somewhat
common, since many projects may need to build one or more special
plugins to support the rest of their builds.

-Max

Posted by Max Cooper <ma...@maxcooper.com>.