Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by chaoticinc <ja...@rogers.com> on 2007/07/08 20:25:17 UTC

Reverse Direction Messaging Over Persistent HTTP Connection

Hello,

I am trying to implement some code to the TR-069 standard
(http://www.dslforum.org/techwork/tr/TR-069%20Amendment%201.pdf)
that requires messages to be originated from the SOAP Server to the SOAP
Client after initial message exchange. The sequence of messaging is as
follows:

Client                                                          Server
inform()                               ---------->
                                          <---------         informResponse
empty HTTP Post                   ---------->
                                          <----------
getParameterValues()
getParameterValuesResponse   ---------->

Thus the getParameterValues() and getParameterValuesResponse are in a
reverse direction to normal messaging.

Thus, my question is:
1) Is there a standard SOAP and Axis2 means to send an empty HTTP Post
message to effectively hand over control to the server for it to make
requests?
2) Is there a way, a MEP of some sort, for sending back an HTTP response
with a SOAP request in it with expectation of a subsequent HTTP request that
will contain the SOAP response?

So far I have looked at ServiceClient, OperationClient and MessageContexts
without anything that indicates this might be possible. I am comfortable
with the standard request-response messaging, but am at a loss for any sort
of bidirectional messaging initiation.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jayke

Re: Reverse Direction Messaging Over Persistent HTTP Connection

Posted by chaoticinc <ja...@rogers.com>.
Thanks Doug for the spec. This given me some idea for future directions.
However, I still need to understand what I can do from the standpoint of the
technology within Axis2. An example of some sort to show how the client and
servers actually generate and send the messages is necessary.

Is anyone familiar with the API usage required to reverse the direction of
messaging over the HTTP connection as described below?

Jayke