Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by St...@brown.edu on 2005/10/31 15:03:14 UTC

newbie question, adding a new ldap schema....

looking at the new apacheDS doc, I find these statements in the
Configuraiton API section:

{{StartupConfiguration}}

This instruction starts up the ApacheDS if it is not started. Here's
the list of known properties:

     * {{bootstrapSchemas}} - a set of {{BootstrapSchema}} s which are
loaded at the first time ApacheDS starts up (Default: <all default
schemas>)

but I don't see any mention of how to add additional schema, once you
have a server up and running (eg eduPerson, eduCourse, etc). Is this
possible?

thanks....

Re: newbie question, adding a new ldap schema....

Posted by St...@brown.edu.
>Steven_Carmody@brown.edu wrote:
>
>>At 12:35 PM -0500 10/31/05, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>
>>>Steven_Carmody@brown.edu wrote:

>>the text seemed to say that I could only add new schema "the first
>>time ApacheDS starts up" -- but you're saying there's a way to shut
>>down the server, add additional schema, and restart the server....?
>>
>Hmmm where do you see this ... if there is misdocumented items then
>we need to fix that.  Sorry for the confusiosn.

http://people.apache.org/~akarasulu/rsynced-sites/directory/subprojects/apacheds/users/configuration.html

under "StartupConfiguration".... I see this:

>bootstrapSchemas - a set of BootstrapSchemas which are loaded at the
>first time ApacheDS starts up (Default: <all default schemas>)

this was the only place I saw any mention/implication of being able
to add or change the schema that were being used....

Re: newbie question, adding a new ldap schema....

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Steven_Carmody@brown.edu wrote:

> At 12:35 PM -0500 10/31/05, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> Steven_Carmody@brown.edu wrote:

> the text seemed to say that I could only add new schema "the first
> time ApacheDS starts up" -- but you're saying there's a way to shut
> down the server, add additional schema, and restart the server....?

Hmmm where do you see this ... if there is misdocumented items then we
need to fix that.  Sorry for the confusiosn.

> Is that true?
>
> ... is yes, than that's more than sufficient.....

Yes of course.  Just add the schema to the schema section of the
configuration XML file.  Look at server.xml for an example.  Shutdown,
add schema, and restart ... you should see the new schema elements
available under cn=schema.

Cheers,
Alex

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Steven_Carmody@brown.edu wrote:

> looking at the new apacheDS doc, I find these statements in the
> Configuraiton API section:
>
> {{StartupConfiguration}}
>
> This instruction starts up the ApacheDS if it is not started. Here's
> the list of known properties:
>
>     * {{bootstrapSchemas}} - a set of {{BootstrapSchema}} s which are
> loaded at the first time ApacheDS starts up (Default: <all default
> schemas>)
>
> but I don't see any mention of how to add additional schema, once you
> have a server up and running (eg eduPerson, eduCourse, etc). Is this
> possible?

Adding schema during runtime is not possible yet.  Right now schema must
be added to the configuration then the server restarted.  We will
rectify this problem once  we revamp the schema subsystem to use subentries.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

Alex