Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Fletcher Sandbeck <fl...@cumuli.com> on 2002/01/18 01:30:11 UTC

Unknown Directories and Handlers

I am using the pre-installed Apache 1.3.22 on Mac OS X 10.1.2.

I have assigned a module to process all ".lasso" files using this directive
"AddHandler lasso-handler lasso".  This works fine for files that exist.

If I call a file that doesn't exist, <http://www.example.com/unknown.lasso>, the
request is handed off to the module specified in the handler for processing.
The module then returns its own error message.  This is the desired behavior.

However, if a specify a file in a directory that does not exist,
<http://www.example.com/unknown/unknown.lasso> then Apache returns it's own
error page (or the error page specified in an ErrorDocument directive).  I would
prefer that Apache hand these unknown files off to the module for processing,
just as it does for the case above, without confirming that all the directories
in the path exist.

Is there a directive that makes Apache hand the URL request off to the handler
before it checks that the directories exist in the file system?  Or, is there a
specific ordering of elements in the httpd.conf file I should be looking for?
Any hints are appreciated.

Thanks,

[fletcher]

Unknown Directories and Handlers