Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net> on 2003/10/29 20:34:30 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Is there a program to manage usres/groups/passwords for Apache httpd?

Bob Alexander wrote:

> Need to setup a web site for my children school. They are not
> comfortable with creating/deleting users with the htpasswd command line
> and would like something to simplify the password management (changing,
> handling password losses etc.).
>
> I tried with webmin but doesn't seem to handle these tasks.

I'd say you're best off doing this with PHP and a MySQL database.  I'm
sure there exist turn-key solutions that would provide most of the
functionality you seek.  Try searching around on sourceforge.net or
freshmeat.net.  The authentication built into HTTP is quite featureless
so I wouldn't expect to be able to do this with only Apache and its
modules.  You really have to build something on top of HTTP if you want
anything more than the basic .htpasswd scheme.

Brian