Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2006/05/01 00:15:28 UTC

RE: Pushing towards a RELEASE

Norman Maurer wrote:

> Maybe your right. We should but out a 2.3 release and focus a 2.4
> release to add this changes.

Sure.  I would have no problem putting out a real Release every 60-90 days,
or even monthly, if we had a basis for them.  Especially now that we have
formal testing in place, rather than relying on ad-hoc testing and a few
production servers.

> There are more features which are really intressting we should add in
> future.

> 1. Maildir support

Yes.  But this is an optional drop-in, so bugs would not effect most
mainstream users, just as bugs in the mbox support would effect few users.

> 2. SPF Support ( after Stefano and I are finish with JSpf

We should get this into SVN, and develop it there, not put it in when
finished.

And this might work better with the next item being done at the same time:

> 3. SMTPHandler chain refactor

Absolutely.  Once 2.3 is out, this would be high on my list, too.  This
would be the major mainstream change that I would want to see happening for
2.4.

> 4. IMAP ( I think this is the feature which most users really miss now..
> Me too)

Another thing that can be done on the side, without effecting most users,
although the *core* piece --- the mail repository interface --- will be
mainstream.

	--- Noel