Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org> on 2006/04/20 14:05:31 UTC

update of website, anyone?

Hi all!

I need a CMS for my day-job and I came to see what is the state of good old
Apache CMS project - Lenya.

Well, the first impression is not good :-(
I open the homepage (http://lenya.apache.org/) and I read:
-------------
News
 * Two Lenya presentations at ApacheCon Europe 2005 (Stuttgart, Germany 18-22
July 2005)
 * Lenya 1.2.4 released (June 25, 2005)
 * Lenya 1.4alpha1 released (June 12, 2005)
 * New Lenya How-To's posted (May 15, 2005)
 * New Lenya tutorials posted (April 24, 2005)
-------------

The latest news is from 2005, almost a year ago???

Ok, figuring that maybe some other page is more up-to-date, I go to check out
roadmap (http://lenya.apache.org/roadmap.html), only to find out that:
-------------
Releases

Three releases are planned: 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4, with the possibility of smaller
maintenance releases in between. Even numbers are stable releases, odd numbers
development releases. Minor releases are used for bug fixes, e.g. 1.2.2.
 * Release 1.0 Summer 2003
 * Release 1.2 Fall 2003
 * Release 1.4 Summer 2005
-------------

Hello, we live in 2006, as far as I know. :-P
Just by looking at that roadmap, I could conclude that 1.4 is already out...
however, by looking at the rest of the site, this doesn't seem to be the reality.
And the purpose of the roadmap page is to lay out the vision for the work ahead
of you, not do document the historic versions such as 1.0.
I expected a page like:
 * the current stable release is 1.2.x that was released ...
 * the next major revision is 1.4 that is expected to be released in ... and
will have this-and-that kind of new features.

And to be honest, the demo (http://lenya.zones.apache.org:8888/) doesn't look
too impressive either :-(
At least the screenshots look very nice and made me want to try this product out
on my own machine.

On to the downloads... In the download, there is Jetty bundled. You could make a
webapp version also available, many people already have a servlet engine
available and not all of those want to compile everything from source. Jetty
seems to take ~7 megs that is almost 1/4 of the overall package.

And, if I understand correctly, then the latest stable version is 1.2.4 that is
almost a year old? There hasn't been any more development going on in the 1.2.x
tree? Hard to believe. Especially if I look at "changes"
(http://lenya.apache.org/changes.html), I see that there is activity in the
1.2.x branch. BTW, that changes page makes by FireFox go nuts and take 100% of
by CPU.

Just an outsider first-impression view on this project, sorry if it felt a bit
harsh at places. No hard feelings, I just wish the best for this project and
right now one of the best things seem to be to update the website ;-)
Not many people are willing to dig into the mailing list and discover that there
IS life in this project, after all. ;-)

Rgds,
Neeme

Re: update of website, anyone?

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Neeme Praks wrote:

>Just an outsider first-impression view on this project, sorry if it felt a bit
>harsh at places. No hard feelings,

no problem. You are very right

> I just wish the best for this project and
>right now one of the best things seem to be to update the website ;-)
>Not many people are willing to dig into the mailing list and discover that there
>IS life in this project, after all. ;-)

there is a lot of life and yes, we need to show that.

Btw,

svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lenya/trunk/
./configure.sh
./build.sh